Middle School AVID Teacher
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job title: Middle School AVID Teacher
Reports to: AVID Director
Effective date: July 2022
Job Type: Full-time
Western School of Science and Technology: A Challenge Foundation Academy exists to transform
Maryvale by improving low-income west Phoenix students’ opportunities for advancement in the new, global, technological economy by providing needed preparation for the academic rigors of college graduation leading to career success.
We believe that teachers are at the heart of carrying out the mission of Western and we have sought and will continue to seek to add to the list of benefits offered to our teachers.
- Starting teacher salary for teachers of $50,000–$55,000.
- Free employee medical insurance*
- Free employee dental insurance*
- Free employee vision insurance*
- Free mental health supports dental
- Qualification for 3% employer-match safe harbor 401(k).
- Bonuses awarded yearly based on performance and longevity
- $500 toward personalized professional development.
- School Laptop
- All supplies and materials for your classroom will be provided by Western. Teachers are not expected to pay out of pocket for any needed items.
*50% of dependent medical, dental, and vision monthly premiums covered.
What do we look for in a Teacher?
Western teachers drive our curriculum and instruction. We are looking for teachers who are capable of:
- engaging 100% of students in their lesson
- developing lesson plans that incorporate our Core Value of Relevance
- using data to make informed instructional decisions not only at the end of a lesson, but mid-lesson as well.
- incorporating strategies to ensure all students succeed in meeting the lesson objective
- offering rigorous learning experiences where students are doing the majority of the thinking
- using technology to improve instructional outcomes
- engaging in weekly coaching sessions to improve their craft
- innovating and creating STEM- based learning experiences for students
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in education or a comparable field
- Valid Arizona teacher certification
- Valid Arizona IVP fingerprint clearance card
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken)
- Passion for working with families living in low-income urban Phoenix communities
- preferred: Bilingual: Spanish/English
- optional: Arizona Highly Qualified status (college degree, passed ADE-approved reading test)
- optional: Master’s Degree
General Statement of Responsibilities:
The Middle School AVID Teacher is a skilled educator grounded in relationships. AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is an academic acceleration program that aims to prepare students in the academic middle for four-year colleges. The AVID elective curriculum features writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading, notetaking, and study skills. Because AVID elective students also enroll in at least one rigorous course including honors or AP, the AVID elective teacher is responsible for supporting students’ academic success across content areas.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborate with stakeholders (AVID students, AVID parents, AVID counselors, the AVID coordinator, the AVID administrator, and teachers) to develop an AVID program based in a college-going culture.
- Establish and maintain high expectations for AVID students’ achievement.
- Collect and analyze AVID student data and regularly monitor AVID students’ academic progress.
- Advocate for AVID students’ access to and success in rigorous courses.
- Teach and promote the use of WICOR instructional strategies across content areas.
- Collaborate with tutors to effectively implement the tutorial process.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the tasks, duties, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all duties and tasks performed by employees in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Able to communicate effectively with students, staff and families.
Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral , or diagram form. Ability to address problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical & Work Environment:
The employee regularly works indoors.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
The employee may be exposed to machinery, potential physical harm, all outdoor weather conditions, hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases.
- Stand for long periods of time (frequently)
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
- Understand the speech of another person.
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
- See details of objects that are more than a few feet away.
- Focus on one source of sound and ignore others.
- Use fingers to grasp, move, or assemble small objects.
- See differences between colors, shades, and brightness.
- Hold the arm and hand in one position or hold the hand steady while moving the arm.
- Use abdominal and lower back muscles to support the body for long periods without getting tired.
- Use one or two hands to grasp, move, or assemble objects.
- Hear sounds and recognize the difference between them.
Terms of Employment:
Sick/Personal & Vacation Leave
Benefits per Board Policy
Veterans and Teach for America alum are encouraged to apply
Western: CFA is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Western School of Science and Technology
Western School of Science and Technology: A Challenge Foundation Academy exists to transform Maryvale by improving low-income west Phoenix students’ opportunities for advancement in the new, global, technological economy by providing needed preparation for the academic rigors of college graduation leading to career success.
6515 W Indian School RDPhoenix, AZ
EducationView all jobs at Western School of Science and Technology