West Hawaii Community Health Center Inc Kealakekua, HI
- Posted: over a month ago
WEST HAWAII COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER
JOB TITLE: Nurse Practitioner (NP)
POSITION FUNCTION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of the Medical Director, the Nurse Practitioner diagnoses and treats a variety of diseases and injuries in general practice by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position may have various work assignments within WHCHC. This description is intended to be generic in nature, and as such it does not detail all duties and responsibilities of the particular job assignment. Various duties, responsibilities and accountabilities may be assigned to an incumbent in this position depending on the specific job assignment, and may include but not be limited to the following:
• Renders medical care to patients including examination, diagnosis, treatment and referral to appropriate physicians or agencies. All medical care will be provided under the established policies, procedures and protocols of WHCHC.
• Examines patient to determine general physical condition.
• Orders or executes various tests, analyses, and diagnostic images to provide information on patient's condition.
• Analyzes reports and findings of tests and of examination, and diagnoses condition.
• Administers treatments and drugs.
• NP provides supervision and direction for the daily activities to designated MA/RN/LVN.
• Prescribes medications only after granted prescriptive authority by the state of Hawaii.
• Inoculates and vaccinates patients to immunize against communicable diseases.
• Advises patients concerning diet, hygiene, and methods of prevention of disease.
• Reports births, deaths, and outbreak of contagious diseases to governmental authorities as appropriate.
• Refers patients to medical specialist or other practitioner for specialized treatment.
• Performs minor surgery.
• On occasion makes house and emergency calls to attend to patients unable to visit office or clinic.
• Conducts physical examinations to provide information needed for admission to school, consideration for jobs, or eligibility for insurance coverage.
• Maintains accurate and thorough medical records through chart documentation. Completes medical forms as required by WHCHC.
• Notifies Medical Director and Program Director at least 3 working days in advance if unable to work assigned hours due to reasons other than illness.
• Is familiar with and follows WHCHC's Policies and Procedures, including Personnel Policies.
• Performs other tasks as assigned.
Requirements of Position
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Graduate of a certificate Nurse Practitioner program.
• Current Hawaii registered NP license.
• One year of work experience as a Nurse Practitioner in a primary care clinic preferred.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as government regulations and guidelines, patient records, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, etc.
• Ability to write at a minimal level of competence, including internal reports and memoranda.
• Ability to communicate with diverse groups of people to include staff and providers and patients.
• Ability to communicate effectively with patients and their families to make their visit a pleasant experience.
• Sensitivity to the multicultural nature of the service area population and provide language translation services to patients as needed.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Performs the essential functions and elements of this position following a training and orientation period not to exceed six (6) months. Must be able to maintain complete confidentiality of medical records, patient interviews, and office memoranda. Personal characteristics to include: a team player, high integrity, communication and customer relations skills, regular work attendance, courteous and friendly, able to work well with diverse groups of people, and gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside WHCHC.
Physical Effort and Dexterity: Within normal limits of NP position, must have necessary manual dexterity to perform all required clinical, laboratory, and other procedures in accordance with applicable standards and regulations.
Machines, Tools, Equipment required to be operated: Full range of medical equipment required of NP. Also, it can include office equipment such as a computer, calculator, and copy machine, postage metering machine, computer printer, and fax machine. In order to operate motor vehicles on WHCHC business, must have a valid Hawaii drivers license, and must maintain and insurable driving record.
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking: Must have necessary visual acuity, hearing and speaking to perform all required medical and clinic management procedures.
Environment/Working Conditions: Incumbent will be scheduled based on operational needs inside and normal office worker safety precautions and practices are required. Incumbent will be exposed to patients' conditions and some-unpleasant sights, smells and contagious diseases including virus, disease and infection from patients and specimens in working environment. All employees are offered the opportunity to receive the Hepatitis B vaccination series, Tdap or Td, and yearly Influenza vaccine. They are also required to have annual PPD testing.
OSHA Category: This position performs tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues; normal medical safety precautions and practices are required.
Confidential and Sensitive Information:
Because the employee has access to personal and professional data regarding individual employees and their families, personal data regarding individual patients and the families, and/or sensitive company financial data, an essential job result is the maintenance of a high level of confidentiality of the information processed by the employee. Violation of this confidence may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
The foregoing position description is not all-inclusive of the duties that may be assigned to the employee. In order to ensure maximum flexibility and efficiency and to encourage cross training, employees will be assigned additional duties as deemed necessary or desirable by WHCHC.
West Hawaii Community Health Center Inc
HealthcareView all jobs at West Hawaii Community Health Center Inc