Medical Records Specialist
- Posted: over a month ago
WEST HAWAII COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER
JOB TITLE: Medical Records Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Medical Services
SUPERVISED BY: Health Information Services Manager
POSITION FUNCTION SUMMARY:
Under the general direction of the Health Information Services Manager, the Medical Records Specialist has general responsibility for maintaining electronic patient files, responding to and fulfilling requests for medical records and assisting in the collection of data. Additionally, they are responsible for managing external patient referrals and follow-up in collaboration with the provider and other members of the patient care team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position may have various work assignments within HICHC. This description is intended to be generic in nature, and as such it does not detail all duties and responsibilities of the particular job assignment. Various duties, responsibilities and accountabilities may be assigned to an incumbent in this position depending on the specific job assignment, and may include but not be limited to the following:
• Maintains electronic patient files and scans all patient data upon receipt.
• Responds to requests for medical records; processes letters and reports; answers and directs telephone calls.
• Retrieves patient schedules from computer system, distributes lab reports to physicians, and materials to other departments; requests information from various departments; responds to correspondence requests.
• May photocopy records and documents for billing and/or legal services; sends and receives information via email and facsimile machine.
• Prioritizes patient referrals to correlate with managing patient flow for maximum efficiency and optimum care provision.
• Demonstrates appropriate utilization of medical record to document care within scope of job duties.
• Coordinates referrals, preauthorization, and follow-up with appropriate external resources.
• Develops and maintains tracking system for referrals to outside resources.
• Actively participates in quality improvement and risk management programs.
• Participates as an active team member on the patient care team.
• Participates in continuing education activities.
• Demonstrates competency in managed care preauthorization for travel
• Documents appropriately in the patient medical record.
• Facilitates process for quality specialty medical, diagnostic and therapeutic services to be available to patients via appropriate referral and tracking for follow-up.
• Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations in dealing with physicians, patients, patient families, visitors, co-workers, in a professional and confidential manner.
• Embraces the philosophy of continuous quality improvement.
• Maintains a safe, clean, and confidential working environment consistent with OSHA, HIPAA, and HHC standards.
• Communicates accurate and pertinent information with patient care providers and other members of the care delivery team to facilitate effective and efficient patient referrals and tracking.
• Applies age-specific/cultural considerations to referral process.
• Manages changes in work demand during work-day.
• Ensures patient/family satisfaction with referral services.
• Keeps supervisor informed of problems or issues; monitors supplies needed; performs other duties as assigned.
This individual must be able to effectively communicate both in written and oral form. This person must be capable of prioritizing and organizing tasks related to patient care. The referral specialist/medical records clerk is expected to support the Health Center's mission and adhere to Health Center policies and procedures, as well as applicable state and federal regulations. He/she is expected to demonstrate superior organization, ability to multi-task, have effective interpersonal skills and be an active part of the patient care team
Requirements of Position
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• High School graduate or GED certificate.
• One year of related clinical office experience and/or training is required; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
• Desirable experience includes:
- Familiarity with QUEST and other insurance programs
- Familiarity with Hawaii health care networks
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires a basic knowledge of general office procedures to include filing, copying, and faxing.
• Ability to use a computer to enter patient data and retrieve information.
• Ability to work on multiple tasks within established deadlines.
• Ability to work under the direction of a supervisor and follow instructions.
• Ability to take the initiative to resolve patient concerns and problems.
• Knowledge of patient chart documentation.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form with a diverse population.
• Demonstrate above average organizational capabilities.
• Demonstrate above average teamwork capabilities.
• Ability to multitask in a supportive patient care role to a diverse population.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as government regulations and guidelines, patient records, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, etc.
• Ability to write at a minimal level of competence, including internal reports and memoranda.
• Ability to communicate with diverse groups of people to include staff and providers and patients.
• Ability to communicate effectively with patients and their families to make their visit a pleasant experience.
• Sensitivity to the multicultural nature of the service area population and may be required to assist patients using interpreter services.
Personal characteristics include: a team player, high integrity, communication and customer relations skills, regular work attendance, courteous and friendly, able to work well with diverse groups of people, gain and maintain respect of others, accept WHCHC mission and values.
Confidential and Sensitive Information:
Because the employee has access to personal and professional data regarding individual employees and their families, personal data regarding individual patients and the families, and/or sensitive company financial data, an essential job result is the maintenance of a high level of confidentiality of the information processed by the employee. Violation of this confidence may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
The foregoing position description is not all-inclusive of the duties that may be assigned to the employee. To ensure maximum flexibility and efficiency and to encourage cross training, employees will be assigned additional duties as deemed necessary or desirable by WHCHC.
Hawaii Island Community Health Center
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?