Director, Equestrian Center
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Wesleyan College Equestrian Program
Built in 1999 and only a short walk from student residence halls, Wesleyan’s Nancy Ellis Knox Equestrian Center in Macon GA. is located on the campus. The facility includes a 24 stall open-air barn for lesson horses, student horses, and community boarders; six turnout paddocks; three hot/cold water wash racks; climate-controlled tack room; separate boarder tack room; student lounge; classroom; private lockers for team riders; a covered lighted dressage arena; and a large jumping arena with lights.
Wesleyan College Equestrian Program competes in IHSA Hunter Seat and Western, and IDA. The Wesleyan Equestrian herd is a mix of college owned horses, student owned horses, care-lease horses and private boarder horses. The daily horse care is overseen by the Barn Manager and implemented by barn staff, some are Wesleyan College students.
Head Equestrian Coach and Director Nancy Ellis Knox Equestrian Center
The Wesleyan College Equestrian Program seeks a highly motivated, responsible individual to join our team as Head Equestrian Coach and Director of Nancy Ellis Knox Equestrian Center.
The successful candidate will oversee daily operations, care of the horses, manage staff, teach and coach all levels of riding for IHSA Hunter Seat Team, IHSA Western Team and IDA Team. They may also teach HPE Fundamentals of Riding classes/lessons to Wesleyan College students not on the team and Community Program lessons. Selected candidate will be expected to facilitate a positive environment among all areas of the Equestrian Program through cohesive communication between the equestrian teams, barn staff, boarders, community riders, veterinarians and farriers.
Coaching, Teaching and Team duties:
- Provide instruction to all levels of lessons in the equestrian program.
- Organize and implement a comprehensive weekly lesson plan for the equestrian program.
- Manage all necessary programmatic and paperwork associated with the Hunter Seat IHSA Team.
- Manage all necessary programmatic and paperwork associated with the Western IHSA Team.
- Manage all necessary programmatic and paperwork associated with the IDA Team.
- Coach all team practices and all IHSA shows for Hunter Seat and Western.
- Coach all team practices and all IDA shows for Dressage.
- Organize team functions and team requirements.
- Organize all travel of the Equestrian Program: team riders, haul horses to horse shows and vet appointments, as well as horse show set up and coaching at open shows the program participates in during the academic year.
- Recruit for Wesleyan College and the Equestrian Team.
- Manage Equestrian team budget.
- Work with the Business Office and Registrar on student accounts and classes.
Director of Nancy Ellis Knox Equestrian Center duties:
- Maintain the Nancy Ellis Knox Equestrian Center as a premier equestrian facility.
- Work with alumni and supporters on donations, both financial and gifts in kind.
- Manage financials of the equestrian center.
- Organize and implement all home hosted horse shows run through the program.
- Manage the community outreach program.
- Supervise the Barn Manager.
- Coordinate with the Barn Manger in fitting and assigning appropriate tack for each horse.
- Coordinate with the Barn Manger in maintaining organization in the tack rooms as well as ensuring that all assigned tack is accounted for and in its proper place.
- Oversee Horse Care and Horse Checks run through the Equestrian Program.
- Help maintain the footing in both the indoor and outdoor arena.
- Meet vets and farrier for both scheduled appointments and emergencies.
- Supervise individual horse treatments and work with the Barn Manger to train barn staff to assist with treatments when possible.
- Work with the Barn Manager to update treatment sheets and individual horse health records.
- Ensure accurate completion of management changes, treatments and routine care on feed.
- Ensure feed and supplements are appropriate and stocked.
- Assist with farm maintenance chores and other projects such as winterizing, fencing repairs, pasture and manure management.
- Be on call for emergency situations such as animal injury, loose animals, broken fence, facility concerns, and inclement weather. After hours, holiday and weekend commitments will vary.
Bachelor’s degree in Animal Sciences or related field. Demonstrated ability to teach quality, safe riding lessons in hunter seat, dressage and western all levels. Comprehensive knowledge of horse management principles. Strong communication, written and organizational skills, and financial management skills. Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with college student-athletes. Experience coaching IHSA and IDA with History competing collegiate IHSA and IDA, as well as USEF and USDF competition records. Previous experience teaching riding theory to all levels helpful but not required.
This is a full-time position, with benefits, on our Macon, GA, campus. To apply, upload a letter of interest, resume and three references. Applications lacking the required documents will not be considered. Applications will be taken until the position is filled.
Wesleyan College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College supports equal employment opportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, gender, national origin, status as a war veteran, age, disability, or any other status protected by law. Wesleyan College is a certified drug-free workplace employer. All applicants being considered for employment are required to submit to substance screening as a condition of employment. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States, individuals will be required to provide proof of identity and eligibility for employment in the United States upon acceptance of an employment offer. In addition, employment is contingent upon successfully passing a criminal background check.
This position is subject to close once a satisfactory candidate pool has been identified.
Sports and Recreation
Get fresh Equestrian Director jobs daily straight to your inbox!