- Position Summary
- The Respiratory Care Practitioner is a professional who is able
respiratory care appropriate to the age of the patients served
on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate
knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the
life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of
the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information
needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his
or her age, specific needs, and to provide the care needed as
described in the departmental policies and procedures.
- Graduate from an approved/accredited Program of Respiratory
- Current New Hampshire License/Registration.
- Participation in continuing education program.
- Knowledge of new trends and techniques for respiratory care.
- Maintains BLS certification.
- Certified or eligible for certification by National Board of
- ACLS certified required.
- Essential Functions of the Job
- Required skills and competencies. Has competency checklist been
knowledge, equipment knowledge, annual certifications)?
- Explains purpose and procedure of treatments, tests and
- Conducts physician prescribed treatments of a routine nature
nebulizer, aerosol and humidity therapy, incentive spirometry,
- Performs chest physical therapy.
- Performs arterial puncture; draws from a-lines, operates blood
- Sets up, operates, and monitors ventilators.
- Responsible for airway management during cardiopulmonary
- Performs pulmonary function testing.
- Records all pertinent information of treatments, and patient
- Reports therapy to be conducted and condition of patients to
- Processes respiratory therapy equipment - cleaning,
- Cardiac and Hemodynamic Monitoring: twelve lead EKG testing.
- Makes regular rounds, checking patients oxygen equipment, and
- Maintains department in a clean, neat and orderly fashion;
- Adhere to Medication Safety policies in regards to appropriately
whenever a barcode override for a medication to be administered
is necessary. Meeting this standard would be using barcode
override 3% (or less) of the time.
- Exceeds = 1.9% or less
- Meet = 2.0% - 3.9% of barcode administration override
- Needs Improvement = 4% or more
- Manages time effectively to ensure that deadlines are met and
- Performs all other duties as assigned.