Wayfair continues to build and scale out its self service components and infrastructure to better meet the needs of our customers and stakeholders. The Core Experience engineering team enables other teams within self service through architecture improvements, engineering wide training and service creation. This team allows Wayfair to serve our customers in a more robust and personalized way.
The key motivators of the Core Experience team are to drive down costs, improve existing systems to be scalable and more performant, and enable other teams to adopt and perform with less risk. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help us drive our Core Experience team to the next level in performance and help be a technical backstop for the team.
In recent months, the team has delivered projects that include:
- Search infrastructure upgrade with SOLR
- Customer performance and overall reliability through architecture improvements and application to persistence decoupling efforts
What You'll Do
- As a Staff Software Engineer you will actively work alongside other engineers to work on highly technical projects and deliver high quality contributions to the codebase.
- Motivate and influence teams to buy into team vision and quarterly roadmap, pushing individuals outside of their comfort zones where necessary.
- Drive high impact architectural decisions including inception, design, and delivery.
- Obsessively focus on production readiness for the team including testing, monitoring, deployment, and proactive troubleshooting.
- Identify risks and gaps in technical approaches to meet team and project goals.
- Be externally recognized as credible technical and product subject matter expert for broader team’s focus area.
- Given strategy, propose and support objectives that deliver business value.
- Provide visibility into team results and bottlenecks, and drive data-driven action plans.
- Work within an agile culture to foster continuous improvement at the team and departmental level.
Who You Are
- Senior or Staff-level software engineer proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without given authority.
- Proven successes in mentoring junior engineers to improve standards and reduce defects in dynamic environments.
- High level problem solvers with extensive skills to support day to day issues and larger project level obstacles.
- Collaborative individual with the desire to work with other leaders to emerge team objectives and key results.
- Successful background in designing production systems at scale including fault tolerance, reliability, performance, and security.
- Mastery of writing SQL queries against a relational database.