Fleet Diesel Mechanic
- Posted: March 24, 2022
WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We've been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 455,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It's a responsibility we deliver on.
Our passion is water because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.
The purpose of this position is to perform maintenance, diagnosis, and repairs on WaterOne vehicles and construction equipment, primarily diesel engine equipment. Minimize down time and help ensure that vehicles and equipment are safe to operate.Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform repair work on primarily diesel engine equipment such as breakdowns, malfunctions and emergency roadside or job site repair in a safe, efficient, and quality manner.
- Maintains high safety standards in work environment and all job-related responsibilities. Assists in housekeeping of shop.
- Maintain any assigned hand tools. Report defects or need for replacement to the Foreman-Fleet Mechanics.
- Maintains and updates vehicle repair charts and preventive maintenance schedules. Process is performed utilizing a desk top computer system
- Welds with acetylene and electric arc equipment.
- Greases cars, trucks and heavy equipment. Checks grease in transmission and differentials for all fleet equipment.
- Changes oil in cars, trucks, heavy equipment, portable pumping units and portable air compressors.
- Replaces and repairs windshield wipers, light bulbs and fuses.
- Balances tires. Adjusts front-ends, clutches and brakes.
- Repairs or replaces body hardware including, but not limited to, latches, locks and hinges, extinguishers, trailer hitches, trailer brakes, emergency lighting systems, winches, truck beds, tool boxes, safety shut-down units, and high-pressure safety valves.
- Performs tune-ups on engines - diesel and gas; repairs and services automatic and manual transmissions, tandem axles, drive trains, brake systems, heating and cooling systems, air conditioning units, hydraulic systems on construction equipment, mobile air compressors, lawn mowers, large mowing equipment, portable generators, and portable water pumps.
- Repairs electrical and electronic equipment, transmissions and brakes; repairs and replaces tires for cars, trucks and heavy equipment.
- Orders or requests authorization to order repair parts as needed.
- Maintains technical knowledge and learns new types of equipment, computer systems, electronics, and diagnostic and repair techniques to stay current with technology, as needed.
- Comply with the Fleet department policies and procedures.
- Maintain punctual and satisfactory attendance.
- Provides cross-functional training experiences to co-workers, as needed.
- Participates in the rotation among the Fleet Mechanics to be the emergency after-hours contact for Fleet Services information or assistance.
- May be requested to serve in role of acting Foreman-Fleet Mechanics periodically.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree or graduation from vocational-technical trade school in Diesel Technology.
- Three years of experience as a Diesel Mechanic, including 1 year of experience as a diesel mechanic repairing class 8 trucks.
Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted to meet qualifications above.
- Must possess a valid Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) with tanker and air brakes endorsements or be able to obtain one within 90 days of hire. Must continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Ability to maintain a safe work area and constant attention to safe work.
- Experience with diagnostic and analyzing equipment.
- Specialized knowledge with computer systems, electronic and electrical systems, hydraulics, emission control equipment and air brake systems.
- Demonstrated proficiency in diagnosing and repairing computer controlled engines and transmissions; various brake, ignition, and fuel and hydraulic systems; and overhauling diesel engines.
- Entry level computer skills, including experience with or the ability to learn Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and Outlook. Must have the ability to learn new software applications.
- Requires the ability to read and comprehend operating manuals, equipment and chemical labels, and other written materials.
- Requires the ability to navigate internet based repair programs such as Cat ET, Cummins InSite and International Trucks Diamond Logic Builder.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Available for overtime and after-hours call outs as necessary.
- Must be able to learn how to operate all fleet components to be able to perform diagnosis and repair. Must be able to operate a variety of types of vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including background verification and drug screen (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Welding experience, including arc and gas welding.
These key core competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee at WaterOne:
- Communicates Effectively - Demonstrates ability to listen and express oneself effectively and shares information as appropriate for the position needed to perform the job effectively.
- Conscientiousness - Expresses the motivation to perform one's job in a careful, thorough way that adheres to the standards of honesty and integrity.
- Customer Focus - Demonstrates a concern for satisfying both internal and external customers and builds collaborative relationships with customers and stakeholders.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Demonstrates the ability to effectively coordinate with others to achieve goals and solve problems by maintaining flexibility and open mindedness.
- Problem Solving/Drive for Results - Demonstrates the ability to find solutions to complex problems and consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
In addition to the core competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Dependability - Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with little oversight.
- Development and Continual Learning - Displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement.
- Machinery Preventive/Predictive Maintenance Procedures - Understands standard operating procedures and is able to perform maintenance as directed.
- Safety and Security Focus - Adheres to all workplace safety and security policies, standards, and practices.
- Working Independently - Makes decisions in own area of responsibility and takes initiative in identifying and completing tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 70 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee must be able to work at varying heights, typically 5 feet to 15 feet above the floor. The employee must have specific vision, including close vision, distance vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, fumes, toxic chemicals and heat. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
WaterOne provides a total compensation package that includes:
- Competitive base pay
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, and LTD insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Voluntary deferred compensation savings account
- Mandatory cash balance plan
- Comprehensive wellness program
- Educational assistance program
- A variety of other benefit programs and activities
Equal Opportunity Employer
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and bu...
10747 Renner Blvd Automotive
10747 Renner BlvdLenexa, KS
AutomotiveView all jobs at WaterOne
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?