Freight Broker (Remote) - Salary + Commission
Watco Supply Chain Services Des Moines, IA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
**This position REQUIRES previous brokerage experience and a current book of business**
The Freight Broker within Watco Supply Chain Services will be responsible for the overall “day-to-day” freight management of shipments and or assigned shipping accounts. It is essential for this position to conduct the necessary activities that will a) produce results that will garner customer trust, b) be complementary to existing Watco competencies, c) produce above average gross net revenue / profit. This position has broad responsibilities including freight sales, customer spot pricing, carrier price negotiation, and operational duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of customer base
- Freight solicitation and sales, including cold calling from company or self-generated call list
- Spot pricing exercises
- Sustained customer relationships and customer growth
- Development of carrier base
- Carrier price negotiations
- Manage both broker and customer service aspects of assigned shipments and /or accounts
- Effectively communicate with customers and carriers
- Insure proper and sufficient communication is provided as it relates to:
- Customer payment issues
- Operational issues, potential issues, or any foreseen issues
- Pricing concerns
- Customer needs (current and potential)
- Customer leads
- Any inabilities Watco Supply Chain Services may face
- Other Watco operating unit inquiries
- Ensure Watco Supply Chain Services’ operating procedures and protocol are adhered to
- Be aggressively responsive to other Watco operating units and their needs
- Deliver cost effective solutions that always keeps the long term interest of the customer as the first priority
- Ability to travel to customer location(s) if / when needed
- Ensure performance to the branch’s annual goals and objectives through individual goal success
- Play critical role in efforts to ensure service, focus, morale, teamwork, and a positive culture is built and maintained within the branch
- Other duties may be assigned
- 2 years broker experience preferred
- Significant highway service knowledge, including demonstrable direct relationships within the shipping community
- Demonstrable business development and sales successes
- Demonstrable operations knowledge
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Must possess basic PC skills- Microsoft Excel, Word
- Self-starter capable of working independently and making decisions with limited supervision
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Ability to provide oral and written reports, business correspondence and effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, team members and managers
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment with extensive team member and supplier contact and frequent interruptions.
While performing the duties of the job, the team member is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The team member is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
We are committed to providing industry leading supply chain services to our Customers in the most efficient and economical manner possible. We offer a range of services from single shipment logistics to complete network design and operation. Our expertise in transportation logistics spans air, rail, truck, water, and intermodal, around the globe.
Watco Supply Chain ServicesWhy Work Here?
We follow our "customer First - Safety Always" principles. We value our customers, value our people, and safely improve every day.
Our vision to establish Watco Logistics came from years of listening to our Customers and understanding their needs, which culminated the formal launch of the business in 2014. We staffed this division with experienced people who continuously practice Watco’s foundation principle of placing the Customer first, providing continuous improvement and taking great pride in offering innovative services that Customers value. We are committed to providing industry leading supply chain services to our Customers in the most efficient and economical manner possible. We offer a range of services from single shipment logistics to complete network design and operation. Our expertise in transportation logistics spans air, rail, truck, water, and intermodal, around the globe.