This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally regular business hours.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine - Multispecialty Center located on the Medical School Campus.
Position functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, prepares charts, obtains reports and records; assists with patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Patient Care Duties
- Interacts directly with patients in clinic setting and completes clinical tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, completion of EKGs, phlebotomy, and verification of medications.
- Prepares for office hours by doing tasks such as obtaining charts, scheduling tests, and preparing exam rooms.
- Assists with examinations, procedures, and lab tests.
- May assist with renewal and authorization of non-narcotic medications per standing orders and department guidelines.
- May administer medications under the order of physicians or nurse practitioner (this includes vaccines and IM and subcutaneous injections.
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures/treatments, and completes requisitions.
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel.
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as calling patients with test results, scheduling appointments, assisting with return calls; scheduling surgeries, diagnostic procedures, and admissions; and monitoring new and return patient contacts, including scheduling of appointments and follow-up appointments.
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation in a timely manner.
- Answers basic questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis, and procedures.
- If order entry in the electronic medical record is part of the job function, completes requisitions/orders per Washington University guidelines.
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations.
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms and sterilizes instruments.
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies.
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse's Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include:
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within six months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of one year of relevant experience.
- Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager.
- Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component, are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements).
- One year or more of supervisory or team leader experience.
- CPR certification.
- 3 years or more of medical assistant experience.
- Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program is highly preferred.
- Interactive communication skills with ability to work with physicians, patients, families, significant others, and support staff.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and telephone skills.
- Working knowledge of anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of medical terminology, and experience/knowledge working with electronic medical records.
The hiring range for this position is $15.85 - $19.43 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
For over a century, Washington University's Department of Medicine has maintained a proud tradition of excellence. Its three-part mission of Research, Teaching, and Patient Care has formed an important core which ultimately brings the latest in medical technology and doctors of the highest standard to the patients in our hospitals and clinics. The Department of Medicine has attracted doctors from all over the world.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant III - Multispecialty Center - 45417
Job ID: 45417
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time