We are looking for a highly motivated and hard working part-time kennel assistant (experience preferred) to join our team! At Washington Heights Veterinary Clinic, patient care is our first priority and we treat all patients as if they are our own. In addition, we treat our clients not only as customers, but as friends. We strive to maintain a positive clinic culture thru teamwork, efficient communication, and mutual respect. Qualified candidates must share these values. Candidates must also work well with minimal supervision and be willing to take on additional tasks as assigned.
The hours for this position are 1PM until 7PM. This position would be ideal for a student looking to gain experience in a veterinary clinic.
While this position entails lots of interaction with our adorable patients, it also requires a lot of cleaning. This includes cleaning of kennels, floors, boarding areas, building exterior, laundry, and dishes. Primary job responsibilities include:
- Observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
- Handle animals as required and restrain animals.
- Walk hospitalized and boarded dogs several times a day to provide exercise and time for elimination of bowels and bladder.
- Bathe, groom and provide Tender Loving Care to boarded and hospitalized animals.
- Provide care for animals housed/visiting the Hospital. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to animal health technicians/veterinarians.
- Apply knowledge of normal food and liquid requirements of animals. As required, provide special food and liquids.
- Discharge and admit animals at the request of receptionists, practitioners and animal health technicians. Assure animals being discharged have been checked by animal health technician and/or practitioner. Ensure that animals are clean and fresh smelling prior to discharge.
- Under the supervision of veterinarians or technicians assist with the administration of medications, post operative care or preparation of samples for laboratory examination, collect specimens, clean instruments, fill prescriptions as authorized.
- Ensure that cages and animals are properly numbered and identified and that personal property (toys, treats, blankets, leashes) are stored in the proper area and identified.
- Clean, disinfect and maintain kennels, cages, runs and stalls as often as is necessary to ensure no cages or kennels are soiled and odors are not apparent. Perform general cleaning in other areas of the hospital to control the spread of disease. Wash and sterilize water and food bowls.
- Launder and dry towels and blankets.
- Patrol hospital grounds daily, picking up any trash and stool material. Empty trash.
- Groom animals utilizing techniques that vary depending on type of hair, coat, breed and owner instructions. Bathe and dry animals. As required, perform
- Record information such as feeding schedules, appearance, behavior of animals that are boarded, groomed or hospitalized.
- Work well with all employees and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors and the practice philosophy.
- Perform other duties as assigned..
If you are the right candidate for this position, we look forward to hearing from you!