Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Wartsila Energy Storage & Optimization (ES&O) is the leading global energy storage optimizer. Our mission is to deliver integrated energy solutions that build a resilient, intelligent, and flexible energy infrastructure - unlocking the way to an optimized renewable future. By integrating renewables, energy management technology, and storage with traditional energy resources, we reinvent clean energy production from the largest and most complex grids to the most remote and essential microgrids. We play a key role in Wartsila's vision towards a 100% renewable energy future through flexibility, reliability, and integration for a more sustainable world for us all.
Wartsila's Energy Business is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer for the Energy Storage & Optimization business. The role will be part of the hardware engineering team. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter that can work both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team. The candidate should thrive in a fast paced, constantly changing environment while the industry and company go through substantial growth.
Preferred location(s) for this position is Herndon, VA and Toronto, Canada. Qualified candidate can also work remote, as long it is in the Eastern or Central time zone except New York state.
Help lead the development of Wartsila's Quantum grid-level battery energy storage system and design custom solutions to meet customer needs and improve the product. Work with a cross-functional team from around the world to implement new designs into existing product lines as well as develop new products including battery modules, enclosures, switchgear, and other DC-based electrical hardware.
- Design mechanical enclosures/containers, racks, parts, and/or features intended to be used in the energy storage industry
- Design mechanical features of battery module packs
- Perform FEA and CFD simulations and analysis for a wide range of form factors and environments
- Manage multiple tasks to stay on-time using agile work practices
- Collaborate in a team environment and/or take charge of opportunities to develop optimal solutions for customers and development programs
- Review and check engineering drawings to ensure manufacturability, appropriate dimensions & tolerances, and proper fit-form-function is depicted in the drawings
- Direct and evaluate day to day activities of 3rd party design and engineering partners
- Collaborate with the larger team to optimize designs for thermal management and fire safety
- Support manufacturing and system deployment activities by collaborating to resolve issues and ensure products and systems are delivered to specification
Minimum Experience and Educational Requirements:
- 10+ years of product development and mechanical engineering experience
- Expert level proficiency with Autodesk Inventor
- Familiarity with FEA principles and software- NASTRAN and/or ANSYS
- Extensive experience designing sheet metal, structural steel, and weldments for the commercial products industry
- Sound knowledge of basic heat transfer and thermodynamic principles required
- Experience designing to NFPA 855 and specifically NFPA 68 and 69 would be a plus
- Familiarity with designing structures for seismic conditions, specifically IEEE 693 (or other seismic standards) is beneficial
- Familiarity with NEMA and IP enclosure design and testing
- Experience with energy storage systems preferred
- Solving customer's needs and issues in a proactive manner
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, peers, subordinates, vendors, shop, and office in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and task organization skills
- Team player attitude internally and externally
- Willing to travel 20% of the time.
Last application date: 03/11/2023
Why you and us
You will be a part of a global organization with a local presence and work in an exciting and dynamic working environment with highly motivated and skilled co-workers. We offer interesting and challenging work tasks, as well as personal and professional development in a great team.
If you feel excited about being a part of this working environment and think your personal skills and qualities match the job requirements, we look forward to receiving your job application.
Successful applicants must be authorized to work in the USA without sponsorship. We look forward to hearing from you. Qualified candidates must apply online: https://www.wartsila.com/careers
Individuals hired for positions that require on-site customer interactions and/or in-person travel may be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or other country-specific vaccinations unless otherwise prohibited by law.
Wartsila North America values our employees. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Wartsila North America is an EOE/AA employer.
Wartsila North AmericaHerndon, VA
ManufacturingView All Wartsila North America Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.