Warner Pacific University’s Mission: Warner Pacific is a Christ-centered, urban, liberal arts University dedicated to providing students from diverse backgrounds with an education that prepares them to engage actively in a constantly changing world. Our hiring practices reflect our missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Warner Pacific University’s Commitment to Diversity: Warner Pacific University is committed to hiring staff and faculty with an intentionality that demonstrates the importance of having an employee community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity of the students we serve. In the fall of 2016, more than 57% of our traditional students were racially or ethnically diverse. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary Description: The Instructional Designer is a full-time, benefit eligible position reporting to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. This role will serve as primary instructional designer for 24-30 course developments and/or course revisions per year. Assist in identifying, vetting, and recruiting freelance instructional designers as necessary to ensure all curriculum development tasks are completed in a timely manner. Collaborate with academic leadership to manage and prioritize curriculum development processes. Provide faculty development in the areas of curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Serve as primary instructional designer for new courses and new programs, including a load of 24-30 course developments and/or course revisions per year, spanning all disciplines and course levels, in conjunction with assigned subject matter experts.
- In consultation with academic leaders and Academic Affairs office, help to identify, vet, and recruit freelance instructional designers as necessary, based on curriculum development demands and timelines.
- Work collaboratively with academic leaders to prioritize and manage curriculum development timelines, to ensure courses are developed and deployed in timely manner.
- In collaboration with subject matter experts, create engaging learning activities, compelling media content, and effective assessment plans for courses.
- Provide expertise and counsel in the shaping of assessable course outcomes, and ensure appropriate curriculum mapping.
- Consistently apply sound instructional design theory and practice to the development and deployment of Warner Pacific curriculum.
- Develop media and supporting materials to enhance instruction across programs.
- Work collaboratively with other curriculum and instructional services personnel to optimize the use of technology in instruction.
- Maintain appropriate documentation for all projects, and ensure through communication throughout course development.
- Continually work toward refining and improving online instructional quality.
- Contribute to the support and implementation of the University Strategic Plan.
- Participate in Warner Pacific University professional development opportunities as able.
- Demonstrate commitment to a Christian liberal arts education by upholding to the mission of the University and abiding by the Employment Standards and Lifestyle Agreement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least two years of work experience in instructional design and with instructional technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models.
- Five years of experience in an office/professional environment, with higher education experience preferred.
- Demonstrated skills, training, and experience in curriculum and lesson planning and learning assessment.
- Basic HTML and Flash programming knowledge.
- Solid knowledge of course development software and at least one Learning Management System (Moodle preferred).
- Proficient computer skills in word, excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Visual design skills (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Ability to write effectively, including scripts.
- Ability to work collaboratively and with limited supervisory oversight.
- Graduate degree in instructional design or curriculum and instruction
- Project management experience
- Professional experience in an accelerated Adult Learning program
Physical Demands – Work Environment:
The position is located in a typical office environment. Professional/business casual attire is required.
Employment and Lifestyle Standards:
Warner Pacific is a Christ-centered urban liberal arts University dedicated to providing students from diverse backgrounds an education that prepares them to engage actively in a constantly changing world. The University was founded in 1937 by the Church of God (Anderson, Indiana) and maintains a covenant relationship with that body. Central to Warner Pacific’s identity as a Christ-centered higher education institution is the policy of hiring persons whose personal and professional lives reflect:
1. A belief in the deity of and commitment to Jesus Christ and the Christian faith, as interpreted through the historic witness of Scripture and the continuing ministry of the Holy Spirit.
2. The practice of following Christ through day-to-day personal lifestyle choices.
3. A vitality of Christian experience maturing in insight and application and appreciative of differing viewpoints.
4. A commitment to life-long learning and service through personal and professional development.
5. For teaching faculty, the expression of artful teaching, based on mastery of relevant subject matter and in an environment of purposeful and rigorous inquiry amongst a community of scholars who support one another.
6. A capability, by temperament, preparation, and will, to support students as they confront the intellectual, social, physical, emotional, and spiritual challenges of their lives.
7. A sensitivity to and support for the mission, core themes, vision, values, ethos and traditions of the Warner Pacific University community.
8. A commitment to teaching and serving in harmony with the doctrines of the Bible as understood and generally held by the Church of God Reformation Movement.
Mission-based hiring is of critical importance to Warner Pacific University. From its inception, the Church of God has resisted condensing the Scriptures into a formal creed, instead emphasizing salvation as the entrance into the body of Christ; unity in diversity; and a call to holy living as God’s people representing Christ in the world. Warner Pacific, rather than requiring subscription to an institutional doctrinal statement, asks each employee to affirm a personal faith in Jesus Christ by providing a statement articulating the ways in which faith informs the employee’s understanding of his or her vocation at Warner Pacific. Employees are expected to demonstrate and articulate a vital Christian faith and to live in a manner consistent with a Christ-centered lifestyle as informed by the Scriptures of the New Testament.
Further, to ensure orderly operations and provide the best possible work environment, all Warner Pacific University employees are expected to maintain the highest levels of ethics, professionalism, integrity, and judgment. Employees must obey all laws governing the workplace and the business of the University, as well as treat others (students, suppliers, and co-workers) with honesty, respect, and personal dignity in all interactions. Conduct that is malicious, abusive, threatening, dishonest or unlawful is not acceptable. Employees who feel they are being subjected to conduct of this kind should bring the concern to Human Resources. The University environment is expected to be free from discrimination and harassment (including bullying). When an individual’s behavior has direct implications for others and/or the well-being of the University community, there may be cause for institutional involvement, regardless of where the situation occurs.
Warner Pacific University desires to provide a safe and healthy environment for staff, faculty, students, visitors and guests. Therefore, smoking is not permitted on University property, in its vehicles, or at any University sponsored event. The use of illegal drugs or non-prescribed controlled substances is strictly prohibited. Use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, electronic cigarettes or marijuana is strictly prohibited on Warner Pacific University campuses.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Warner Pacific provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status and any other status protected by laws and regulations to which Warner Pacific is subject. All employment decisions, including hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, and terminations are made in a manner that does not discriminate against individuals in the categories discussed above. Because Warner Pacific is a Christian liberal arts University, the University exercises its legal right to hire Christian employees to fulfill its mission and purpose.
Commitment to Diversity:
Warner Pacific University is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and a multicultural learning environment. Inquiries are encouraged from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University. Warner Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks a diverse workforce of committed Christians from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Warner Pacific University offers a full range of traditional benefits for qualifying employees, including medical/dental insurance, disability, life insurance, paid vacation and sick time, mission leave, tuition remission, and retirement savings.
In order to be considered an applicant for this position, please complete our online employment application at www.warnerpacific.edu/jobs. Click “Apply Now” to complete the online application, and submit the following:
- Cover letter with names/contact information for three professional references