Ward Leonard is an industry leader in military and marine electric motors, generators, power control components and systems. Founded in 1892, Ward Leonard has for more than a century provided its customers with the highest quality electrical machinery for power delivery, AC/DC conversion, and power management.
Consistent with our core values, we expect the Engineering Technician to be a high-performer with personal / professional integrity and a drive to continuous improvement and customer satisfaction. This position requires a professional who is open-minded, collaborative, demanding, dynamic, flexible, personable, professional and trusted. To support company goals, Ward Leonard uses performance based-metrics with 360-degree feedback and communication.
The Engineering Technician is responsible for:
- Maintaining the Advanced Development Laboratory
- Order and Organize Supplies
- Maintain Lab Test Equipment
- Maintain Laboratory Facilities
- Supporting Advanced Development Engineering
- Building Prototype Products
- Building Production Test Equipment
- Documenting Manufacturing Processes
- Assist Development Engineers with testing at outside test labs
- Supporting Manufacturing
- Providing training and Technical Support
- Travel to Customer Sites as required, supporting Ward Leonard Products
- Understand and demonstrate competence building electrical control panels
- Understand and demonstrate competence in basic shop practices
- Milling Machine operation
- Lathe operation
- Metal Fabrication
- Repair and modify PC Boards including surface mount and thru hole technology
- Troubleshoot analog and digital circuits
- Use lab test equipment, voltmeters, oscilloscopes, PC based test systems
- Familiarity with embedded controls a plus
- Read, interpret schematics and write procedures
- Read, interpret and follow MIL or Commercial Test Procedures
Customer/Vendor Work Relationships
- Works mostly with other members of the Engineering Department
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports to Project Manager/Project Leader
- This position includes sitting at a desk doing normal office work, including phone communications and using a computer but primarily involves working in a development laboratory fabricating, building, testing electromechanical and electronic equipment and products.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
- Spends approximately 25% of time working at a desk in a laboratory environment.
- Spends about 75% of time on work away from desk building equipment or products. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while in the Lab or on the shop floor.
Training / Cross Training / Progression
- Completion of additional education could qualify this individual to move into a designer, junior engineer, application engineer or field service engineering position
Education / Experience
- Technical School Diploma, ASEE / BET or similar degrees, with mechanical aptitude and interest
- Specialized Military training could substitute for engineering degree
- Hands on personality
- Works safely with 440vac, industrial drives and controls
- Understanding of analog and digital circuits
- Familiarity with PC Boards, trouble shooting and replacing surface mount components
- Computer literate, Word, Excel, MS Project, Email, Internet
- Familiar with Industrial Drive and PLC programming a plus
- Familiar with Military specifications, Shock Vibe and EMI highly desired
- Five years (minimum) experience in a similar position
- Profibus, CAN Bus communication experience is desirable
Why Work Here?Ward Leonard is a global industry-leading manufacturer and service provider of highly engineered motor control solutions for the Military, Oil & Energy, and Heavy Industry customers. For over 125 years, our products and service have harnessed power for mission-critical infrastructure applications in harsh environments. Dedicated to total customer support and satisfaction, we focus on delivering benchmark performance, productivity and durability every day. Our customers count on Ward Leonard to provide solutions to complex and highly technical applications and service.
Great company culture, great place to learn and develop your skills!