Reporting directly to the Veterinary Technician Supervisor, the clinical assistant will maintain responsibilities related to animal care and husbandry; as well as logistical and operation functions relating to veterinary events held within Oquendo Center.
Compliance with organizational standards, policies and procedures is mandatory. This position will interact with a wide variety of medical clients as well as general meetings and events clients in an array of professions. This position requires the ability to work a schedule in accordance with business needs. Scheduled hours can include working up to forty (40) hours per week, possible overtime, and weekends and holidays.
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures; reporting any violations and/or safety hazards
- Venipuncture and catheter placement
- Induction and monitoring of anesthesia
- Preparation of surgical packs, including sterilization
- Animal restraint and handling (including large animal)
- Stock and maintain medical supplies
- Prepare and clean rooms for events
- Lab/event support as needed
- Provide exceptional customer service to all guests of the facility
- Maintain accurate medical records
- Animal husbandry
- Administer medications as needed
- All duties included and not limited to the statutes put forth by The Nevada State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners
- Other duties may be assigned
Qualifications and Required Skills and Competencies
- Experience working in a collaborative mode with a wide array of individuals.
- Able to work autonomously and organize and prioritize work to deliver results and meet quarterly objective; analyze complex issues; ensure technical issues are resolved in a timely manner; develop, recommend, and implement solutions.
- Must be an effective communicator, understands audience, participate in meetings, write clearly, able to read and interpret written information. Must have a strong work ethic; be on time; and greet clients with a smile.
- Must be able to assist clients as needed; though not to place anyone in danger in doing so
- Function well in a team oriented environment; ensuring positive working relationships
- Maintain a strong work ethic and be able to show initiative and dedication
- Act with a sense of urgency and demonstrate the Spirit of Service
- Possess the ability to be calm and controlled in all situations
- The ability to have sound judgment and make quick decisions when amidst difficult situations
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- Have general knowledge and competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Exhibit strong verbal and written communication skills
- Maintain a strong work ethic
- Show initiative, dedication, and proper time management
- Demonstrate professional comportment and appearance
- Must have an active Veterinary Technician license at all times
All team members are required to maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance. Team Members will be provided with WVC apparel. Team Members will wear identification badges provided by WVC. Protective equipment i.e. gloves, mask, eyewear, shoe covers, apron, etc. must be worn during labs and discarded and/or removed for cleaning accordingly.
Physical Requirements and Qualifications
The daily duties of this position are physically demanding. The position may require moving equipment which can weigh up to 100 pounds and standing and walking are required. During the annual conference the level of activity increases and the amount of time spent standing and walking will be heavy. Clear vision is a requirement of the position. Corrected vision is acceptable.
Associates degree in a related field; or a combination of education and experience. Experience in veterinary profession is highly desirable.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Safety in the Workplace
Every team member has the responsibility of providing a safe work environment by following all safety policies & standards, completing specified safety training, immediately correcting hazards & unsafe conditions or reporting conditions to the Manager On Duty and/or the Human Resources department, and working safely as not to endanger themselves, co-workers, vendors, or clients. Team Members assigned to laboratory duties must follow the laboratory safety policies and participate in safety education programs.