We are seeking a Senior Associate Attorney who is passionate about criminal defense. You'll be responsible for managing a case load that contains a mixture of serious felonies and misdemeanors.
Because we will also be entrusting you with the responsibility of mentoring and supervising the work of less experienced attorneys, our new Senior Associate must have significant experience preparing, investigating, and trying complex criminal cases that include some or all of the following types of cases: DUI and DUI Manslaughter, Drug Trafficking (federal and state charges), White Collar crimes, Domestic Violence and other forms of violent criminal conduct as well as Sex Offenses. You need to know how to find the courtroom, talk to a prosecutor, talk to witnesses, prep for trial, pick a jury, try a case, and handle sentencing hearings. Prosecution experience is not a requirement but may be helpful.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Conducting client meetings
- Setting legal strategy
- Criminal litigation including conducting discovery, coordinating investigations with outside PI service, high-level legal research support, drafting and reviewing pleadings and motions, conducting pretrial hearings and conferences, motion hearings, and trying criminal cases before a judge or jury
- Mentoring junior associate attorneys
- Overseeing junior associate attorney work in conjunction with Firm owner
Required core skill sets include:
- High-end advocacy skills
- LexisNexis proficiency
- Legal research and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple complex criminal cases while supervising the work of junior attorneys
- Endurance. The work of a criminal defense attorney is both mentally and emotionally demanding and requires a special person who is dedicated to his/her clients, the Firm's clients and the Firm itself.
- You must be able to establish relationships with the various ADAs you'll be dealing with in order to negotiate fair and just outcomes for our criminal clients.
- Comfort and familiarity with technology. We are an "Apple" law firm so you must be intimately familiar and comfortable with Apple tech including iPad, iMac and Apple apps for the iPad. Our attorneys often only bring an iPad to court for most tasks.
Desirable experience includes:
- Spence Trial Lawyers College graduate or regional seminar attendee. Familiarity with the Spence method or the right mindset to explore the TLC trial skill method is important.
- National Criminal Defense College graduate
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Student course graduate
- Drug Recognition Expert pre-school course graduate
- ARIDE course attendee
- Federal CJA panel experience or federal prosecution experience
- State felony level prosecution experience
- Appellate experience
In addition to your skills, you need to have the right attitude. You need to be positive; this area of the law can be quite stressful, and we don’t need to create our own drama! You must be comfortable working on a team. You need to be able to not only tolerate change and growth, but you should embrace it. In fact, you'll be pushed to grow not only professionally but personally. At WTB Law we have a mantra: professional growth is always preceeded by personal growth. If that mantra scares you, then this Firm might not be the right fit for you. Many of us have read The Four Agreements and other mindset books. What have you read to improve your personal life?
You need to have a "thick skin". The ability to take constructive criticism and a willingness to have your mindset challenged are crucial. If you're self-absorbed, straight-laced and have an over-inflated sense of self-importance, please don't apply. This isn't the place for you. A sense of humour is crucial. If the thought of F-bombs being dropped during a staff meeting makes you cringe, please apply somewhere else.
We are a "liberal" law firm. What does that mean? If you have to ask, you might not be a fit. If the phrase "Make America Great" resonates with you, you might not fit in. We have a true sense of empathy and understanding for our clients and the story that led them here. We truly care for our clients and strive to help them through what is oftentimes a stressful, dark and frightening time in their lives. We don't judge a book by its cover and we expect our employees to have that same sense of empathy and understanding. We don't see race, religion, gender or ethnicity as divisive issues, rather we embrace those differences and view them together as an explanation for what makes us human.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package including the best available health insurance on the market, a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer matching contributions, paid time off & a company credit card for approved expenses. We also pay for continuing legal education (including travel expenses for out-of-state CLEs), bar dues, and some approved voluntary bar memberships.