Description/Job SummaryGENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The primary focus of this position is business development of the transportation design services market for WHPacific with local agencies, and gain greater access into larger agency markets. This position is also responsible for managing the Seattle Transportation Group and individual projects profitably.
The individual will have exceptional abilities to bring in new business, increase profits, and will lead the Seattle Transportation Group to continue growth and elevated status. The Director will be responsible for developing business development strategies and leading the transportation group in the Seattle office to implement those strategies. The Director will coordinate business development with offices and business lines across the Enterprise, to ensure efficient implementation of long term strategic initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Markets our transportation business line.
- Leads marketing strategy for Seattle office.
- Implements account penetration strategies, identifies market trends, key clients and markets and pursuit priorities.
- Finds and develops new business within existing clients/project base.
- Leads business development activities, with a strong focus on closing deals, and working with project staff to develop pursuit strategies.
- Coaches project managers in pursuit strategies.
- Oversees and directly participates in the preparation of marketing proposals, including proposals, scopes of work, and cost strategies.
- Coordinates and participates in cross-sales activities with other business lines, in particular the Construction Management and Survey groups in Seattle.
- Administers and coordinates project contracts.
- Develops and manages project scope, budget, and schedule using company Earned Value Management tools.
- Provides project monthly reports on scope, budget, and schedule.
- Manages multiple projects or one larger project.
- Reviews and edits contracts in coordination with legal staff.
- Follows company QA/QC processes.
- Understands the role and function of each team member.
- Assembles and manages project teams.
- Manages and is responsible for all aspects of the project over the life of the project (initiate, plan, execute, control, close).
- Manages project managers with a strong focus on profitability and client satisfaction.
- Manages administrative activities for the Transportation Group including performance evaluations and employee development.
- Develops an organization that fosters communication, teamwork and work share throughout the Transportation Business Line for WHPacific offices.
- Provides leadership and supervision to the Transportation staff including monitoring and analyzing performance of all other Transportation employees in the local office.
- Creates a positive working environment including proactive communication and mentoring of professionals.
- Manages the operations, backlog, profitability and growth of the Transportation Business Line for the local Seattle office.
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels.
- Participates and coordinates Seattle office operations and marketing activities with other offices in WHPacific.
- Participates in creating and upgrading operations and marketing strategies for the company as a whole.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess the following capabilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Extensive Experience with WA Transportation Planning, Design, Permitting, and Project Management.
Knowledge of Regional transportation plans and issues.
Knowledge of WA public funding processes and funding sources.
Working knowledge of LAG, WSDOT, and AASHTO design standards.
Development of scope, schedule, and budgets.
Understanding of Earned Value project management tools and techniques.
Demonstrated track record of using project management programs to complete project on time and on budget.
Proven track record within local region of selling, doing, leading and managing projects.
Demonstrated leadership skills.
Outstanding communication skills both written and oral.
Able to think both strategically and tactically.
Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple and complex projects in diverse areas.
Organized and efficient.
Strong work ethic.
Willingness to travel occasionally.
Bachelor's degree in engineering.
Minimum of ten years successful experience in providing professional or construction related services, or developing and selling new business.
10+ years project management experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Professional registration strongly preferred such as Washington State licensed civil engineer. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged sitting or standing for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking.
- Occasional bending, stooping, reaching, pushing and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of up to 20 pounds.
- Normal vision range.
- Normal sensory ability to smell.
- Frequent rapid mental/hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Frequent talking in person and by phone in a clear and audible speaking voice.
- Frequent hearing in person and by phone from normal or whispering voice.
- Usual office environment.