Position: Large Vehicle Driver
Hours: Weekday and Weekend shifts available
Weekday schedule: 7:30am - 5pm,
Positions Available: Part-time (2-3 days/week) and Full-time (4 days/week) available and casual/on-call
Weekend schedule: 8:00am – 4:30pm, part time, and casual/on-call
NOTE: Some special event, evening work occasionally required
Wage: $25.00/ hour
Start date: asap
WHCP’s mission is to significantly improve the health and quality of life of people who use drugs by creating relevant supports and services including access to; clean syringes through street-based outreach, advocacy and resources; a broad range of educational, referral and health services that reduce risks associated with drug use – including HIV, viral hepatitis and overdose. People who use drugs participate meaningfully in our service model. This is therapeutic in countering stigma and feelings of worthlessness; and restoring social connections and hope. WHCP delivers service without judgment recognizing that individuals have the right to be treated with dignity and respect, have access to health care, and the space to work on their own goals.
The organization is seeking a Large Vehicle Driver. This position reports to the Field Services Manager and Directors.
- Pick up and drop off vans/buses at their respective garages on time. Liaise with parking garage staff in a courteous and professional manner on all issues pertaining to agency vans/buses. Primary vehicle is a 34 ft. Winnebago bus, MUST be comfortable driving a vehicle of this size.
- Convey vehicles to assigned locations in a timely manner
- Maintain the vans/buses in the following ways:
- Ensure vans/buses are re-fueled as necessary in advance of a planned outing
- Ensure all fluids are topped up in the vans/buses including oil, windshield washer fluid, coolant etc.
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness and organization on all vans/buses, both inside and out
- Complete van/bus usage logs according to agency protocol
- Communicate all issues related to van operation and functioning to supervisor in a timely manner
- Conduct a walk-through inspection of the van/bus before each outing checking all operating systems, generator, fluids, lights, breaks, tires, mirrors and inspecting for dents, scratches and other damage. Log and report according to agency protocols.
- Collaborate and coordinate with WHCP Directors and Field Services Manager on picking and dropping off supplies to outreach locations and outreach vehicles as directed by WHCP Directors and Field Services Managers.
- Assume responsibility for van/bus permits. Adhere to permit parameters when driving.
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to:
- Pick up and drop off donations, supplies for special events as directed
- Assisting with preparation of supplies as directed
- Participate in training and cross-training as directed
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
· Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License – VALID CDL PREFERRED
· Must have a clean driver’s abstract (please include with application)
· Previous experience driving large vehicles in New York City required - including Winnebago, transport trucks, delivery vans, moving trucks up to 34 feet long, 12 feet high.
· Experience and expertise properly maintaining vehicle operating systems, fluid levels, including on-board generator an asset
· Must be extremely dependable and punctual
· Must be careful and accomplished driver
· Must be a team player and able to work effectively with a large variety of personalities and abilities
· Great attitude with excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills a must
· Familiarity with the Washington Heights and Inwood, Harlem and the Bronx an asset
· Individuals from the Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, and Inwood areas are strongly encouraged to apply
· Spanish fluency an asset but not required.
· Please submit a detailed resume and references for at least two previous driving positions to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title: Large Vehicle Driver
· Please save your files with your last and first name followed by document title (e.g. Smith J Resume)
· Apply directly through Zip Recruiter
Please address submission to:
Kailin See, Director of Programs
Washington Heights CORNER Project
104-106 East 126th Street, 3C, New York, New York 10035
*To be considered for this position your resume must detail your previous driving experience, including references for at least 2 driving jobs, and your application must include both (a) copy of your valid NYS Driver’s License/CDL and (b) a copy of your Drivers Abstract.
Washington Heights CORNER Project offers a generous benefits package including paid time off, health/dental/vision insurance, and a 403B retirement plan for full-time employees.
Washington Heights CORNER Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is nondiscriminatory relative to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability,medical status, or history of incarceration