Position: Harm Reduction Outreach Worker
Hours: 20 hours/week
Compensation: $18/hour commensurate with experience
Start date: ASAP
· Arrange and conduct street outreach activities in the neighborhoods of Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, Inwood and some areas of the Bronx in order to reach drug using individuals at high risk for HIV and Hepatitis transmission
· Provide syringe exchange, disease transmission reduction education, program promotion, participant recruitment, risk reduction counseling, coordination into care, and street-based supportive services when necessary in street-based, commercial and residential settings
· Link clients into clinical care as needed including PrEP/PEP, HIV or HCV treatment, buprenorphine, escorting patients to appointments as needed
· Conduct hazardous waste collection of used syringes and other drug use supplies throughout the neighborhood, in parks, and under highway ramps as designated
· Maintain accurate documentation of program activities and manage data collection and monitoring for all outreach shifts, ensuring that outreach is meeting goals and objectives
· Coordinate with other Outreach Worker(s) and Program Directors to connect with local community-based organizations to provide resources, education, and supplies
· Identify locations and settings where there may be high-risk activity for HIV/HCV transmission; conduct outreach during late evening and weekend hours
· Provide assistance to WHCP’s wellness programs by promoting health and wellness services when available, such as STI testing, HCV testing, mental health counseling, and more
· Provide education specific to overdose prevention and naloxone (Narcan®) administration in individual and group training sessions, including in residences, clinics, and on the street
· Support volunteers and peers as needed
· Manage materials and supplies for outreach distribution
· Work as part of a team to assist with program monitoring and evaluation
· Attend appropriate meetings to seek out current information about disease prevention, treatment and care.
This position at Washington Heights CORNER Project is NOT office based. Services are rendered from a street-based outreach mobile unit stationed in neighborhoods of high. This individual must be comfortable working from a mobile outreach unit, and in public settings during all weather conditions. This position may entail a large amount of walking and/or some climbing.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
· The position requires knowledge of outreach strategies, syringe exchange, and HIV prevention techniques, and the ability to carry out outreach activities on the street-level with both the general population and the high-risk population
· Experience working with drug users, sex workers, the homeless, mentally ill, formerly incarcerated, and HIV + populations. Additional preferable work experience includes training and motivating volunteers, anti-discrimination strategies, LGBTQ issues, and community organizing. Additional training will be provided.
· Must be outgoing, organized, self-motivated, and committed to working in a diverse environment
· Must be a team player and able to work effectively with a large variety of personalities and abilities, pragmatic with excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills
· Must be familiar with and believe in a harm reduction philosophy
· Must be willing to work outdoors several hours per shift in various weather conditions; weekend and evening hours flexible to provide outreach services to high-risk populations that congregate during irregular hours
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Ability to work with diverse communities (multi-gender, -ethnic, -generation, -lingual, political) as well as enthusiasm working with individuals who are current substance users
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, and email correspondence
· Ability to master a wide range of information and disperse accordingly and professionally
· Great attitude and people skills are a must
· Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
· Individuals from the Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, and Inwood areas are strongly encouraged to apply
Washington Heights CORNER Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is nondiscriminatory relative to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, medical status, or history of incarceration.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your experience and/or interest in harm reduction, Spanish/English proficiency, and interest in the position in addition to your curriculum vitae/resume. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.
Please save your files with your last and first name followed by document title (e.g. Smith J
Resume, Smith J Cover Letter)
Submit directly to: WHCPJOBS@cornerproject.org and please add Harm Reduction Outreach Worker to subject line.
Please address resume and cover letter to:
Washington Heights CORNER Project
104 East 126th Street, 3B, New York NY 10035