IBM / iSeries Systems Engineer
The IBM iSeries Systems Engineer is primarily responsible for installation/configuration, operation and support of IBM systems hardware and software related infrastructure. The engineer will be focused on improving the stability and performance of systems, maintaining, and improving the security posture of environments, continuous monitoring of system health, and troubleshooting issues that arise. As part of the position, the engineer will record information relayed from the customer and the troubleshooting steps performed along with their corresponding results accurately in the case management system. In addition, the Engineer will manage a personal queue of open tickets and continually follow up to ensure timely incident resolution and customer satisfaction. The engineer will also proactively identify and take steps to resolve or eliminate recurring incident types and participate in process improvement and knowledge documentation activity to positively impact customer satisfaction, increase operating effectiveness, and improve efficiency.
- Deployment and implementation of best practices on the IBMi system platform
- Successful project completions, maintain peak operating performance of IBMi/iSeries environments, its related equipment, and core applications
- IBMi/iSeries Hardware and Software upgrades (including Operating System upgrades)
- IBMi/iSeries Performance Monitoring and Tuning, and update of scripts
- Advanced troubleshooting and repair skills of IBMi and IBM Power systems hardware
- Support of end users and system submitted jobs including printer support
- Support of Client Access and IBM Access Client Solutions desktop applications
- PowerVM and Virtualization of Power systems
- Application of PTFs, CUMs, system saves, and IPL management
- Support of system backups using IBMi, Carbonite and other tape functions
- Maintain system High Availability/DR readiness using iTerHA
- Manage vendor relationships for IBMi solutions and participate in the evaluation and implementation of third-party system applications
- Experience in a datacenter environment
- Gather requirements, design, and deploy server-based solutions to meet business needs.
- Configure partitions and systems using the Hardware Management Console (HMC)
- Assist in regulatory audit (PCI, HIPAA, etc.) remediation
- Respond to incoming call and e-mail queues promptly and document incidents accurately and simultaneously into the case management system.
- Monitor tickets generated by Network Management Systems for critical network problems; perform first-level troubleshooting to diagnose issues and escalate to the appropriate provider.
- Monitor and enforce system security guidelines for all clients. Create user accounts and access rights for clients when applicable.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all clients.
- Utilize all existing knowledge bases to research, resolve, and respond to incidents and requests received via phone and e-mail in a timely manner, in accordance with incident management standards.
- Provide accurate troubleshooting and creative solutions to user problems of basic to moderately complex nature to ensure customer productivity.
- Manage the incident resolution process for all open incidents by following up with assigned support personnel and/or the affected user to ensure timely incident resolution and customer satisfaction.
- Assist to develop internal documentation and procedures related to specific customer environments.
- Participate in after-hours (24×7) support on-call rotation, which will include calls on various technology platforms (including, but not limited to, Microsoft OS and basic network support)
- Participate in duties as assigned such as application support, patch management, client support activities, etc.
- Solution design and architecture across the data center requirements
- Provide consultation services for clients looking to build/create organizations application structure
- Assist the sales organization from time to time to create work statements and estimates of hours
- Must demonstrate subject matter expertise in areas of concentration: IBM iSeries server requirements, iSeries (power platforms) operating systems, and related support platforms/applications
- Strong understanding of IP networking (multiple layer types) and OSI model
- Skilled network and systems analytic skills – good troubleshooting skills
- Develop comprehensive documentation of implemented products and solutions
- Customer results and outcomes driven
- Good interpersonal relationship skills
- Demonstrate an ability to mentor aspiring engineers
- Results oriented – demonstrate desire to achieve or surpass standards of excellence
- Passionate about the quality and timely delivery of services
- Learner, challenges self to be subject matter expert
- Organized and detail oriented, yet flexible and agile
- Excellent communications skills; written and oral
- Problem solving skills
Required Technical Experience/Skills
- OS/400 V5, V6, V7 support
- HTTP Administration (default and Apache)
- Understanding of basic network protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, SSH, HTTP, FTP.
- Customer focused
- Understanding of IT processes and procedures concepts
- Excellent troubleshooting capabilities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
- Good written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work within an on-call rotation as well as nights and weekends
- Highly self-motivated and directed with keen attention to details
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to grow and learn new technologies
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Employee will handle equipment of varying size and weights. Some lifting and installing of equipment into racks and do some light cabling.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Usual hours of work are 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday, but there will be time outside these hours for several circumstances.
Travel dictated by customer engagements.
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline with an IT focus is preferred
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role required
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (if applicable)
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer
Weidenhammer Systems Corp. is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
WEIDENHAMMER SYSTEMS CORPORATION
935 Berkshire BlvdReading, PA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.