The HR Generalist is a business partner to the Distribution Center team and supports the evening shift. Reporting the the HR Manager, this role consists of “hands-on” management of human resources policies and programs within the Distribution Center team member population. Primary functions of this position include employee relations, team member engagement, coaching and development including performance improvement plans, training, and assisting in developing policies and programs that support and foster a safe, engaging, inclusive and positive workplace.
- Facilitates critical organizational initiatives as well as implements process improvements within Human Resources and across the Distribution Center
- High volume of support for employee relations, and consulting on performance improvement plans, including supporting two additional DC facilities for night shift
- Works with Human Resource Manager to implement and manage Human Resources policies, procedures, and programs, which support the overall business strategy inclusive of compensation, leave of absence and attendance management, performance management (mid-year, year-end and discipline), coaching and development and team member engagement. Train and educate business partners on these policies, programs and procedures
- Oversees team member development and succession planning processes with PM / Supervisors to ensure “ready now” candidates for key leadership roles
- Ensures compliance with Federal and State legislation related to all human resources matters
- Presents to all levels of leadership and team members within their assigned group related to human resource matters, and updates. This includes, but is not limited to Business Conduct Guidelines, Performance Management, Team Member Engagement, Open Enrollment and facilitation of team member round tables as necessary
- Fosters strong relationships with internal HR COE partners and external vendors to administer effective employee programs
- Assists in the implementation and administration of a robust communications plan, including leading the coordination of the DC newsletter, bulletin board updates and team member events as required
- Spends regular time on warehouse floor to build effective relationships with team members and leaders in support of business strategy and results
- May lead and support DC network-wide projects for HR team as needed
- BA/BS degree required
- 5-7 years of experience in related field preferred.
- A degree is preferred in Human Resources, related field or equivalent progressive experience.
- Working knowledge of Human Resource practices with expertise in staffing, new hire orientation and on-boarding.
- Demonstrated experience in providing proactive solutions to human resource issues.
- Exercise good judgment in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to analyze and diagnose problems, develops alternative solutions, and recommend and implement an effective course of action.
- Ability to influence and build relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Communicate effectively in one-on-one and small group settings, and foster an open, honest and trusting environment, concisely, both in writing and verbally, and to actively listen while gathering information.
- Ability to manage time and prioritize work.
- Proficiency in systems, Excel, Word, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel out of state 5-10%
- Effective verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
W.W. Grainger, Inc
Why Work Here?Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 25,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger was recognized as one of FORTUNE's 'World's Most Admired Companies' in 2020 for seventh straight year and earned a perfect score on the 2020 Corporate Equality Index for the sixth consecutive year. Grainger was ranked in the top 10 on Barron’s annual ranking of America’s Most Sustainable Companies.
Profit sharing and 401k for all employees; ranked #1 Most Admired Company by Fortune Magazine for 6 years