Senior Mechanical Engineer - Gas Flow Management Systems
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
VulcanForms builds and operates advanced digital infrastructure enabling the world’s critical industries to innovate, grow, and deliver sustainable impact. Founded in 2015, VulcanForms invented and commercialized the world’s first industrially scalable laser metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution and pioneered integrated digital production systems. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms Inc. seeks a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Devens, MA location.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer – Gas Flow Management Systems at VulcanForms Inc., Devens, MA, you will be essential in designing, testing, commissioning, and continuously improving the gas and filtration systems for our laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) machines. You will be part of the team that defines and develops the gas management and filtration systems roadmap for the world's most productive metal additive manufacturing systems. VulcanForms Inc. is a manufacturer of complex, high value engineered components in serial production at the world's most powerful additive foundry.
With laser powder bed fusion (LPBF), an efficient gas flow over the build plate enables high build rates, clean melting processes, and an effective evacuation of the by-products, such as soot and spatter. Just like in other forms of welding, the LPBF process results in gases, soot, and spatter.
Laser Powder Bed Fusion is a form of additive manufacturing where laser beams pass over a build plate with a thin layer of powdered metal. The laser beam melts the powdered metal and reacts the same way as other welding processes. Removing by-products produced by this interaction must occur to clear the laser beams' path and atmosphere before debris lands on the powder bed. The soot-laser interaction might lead to refraction and absorption of the laser beam and consequently to a reduction in laser power and beam shape distortion. If the spatter particles land on the to-be printed powder bed, these particles might cause a lack of fusion, creating porosity in the build.
If you are looking for a complex and challenging problem to solve, we'd like to hear from you!
- Design and develop a gas flow management system for VulcanForms' current and future generation laser powder-bed fusion machines
- Provide an understanding of the boundary conditions, propose design concepts, and design, analyze, and test those concepts.
- Work with a cross-disciplinary team to define system requirements, continuously improving our design of the gas flow management system and performance.
- You will actively participate in the system integration, machine building, commissioning, and gathering first-hand feedback on the performance of your designs.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 6+ years of professional work experience; or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering with 4+ years of experience
- Experience in the design of industrial gas flow, filtration, or vacuum systems
- Expertise in using at least one CAD system (preferably Creo)
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Engineering
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments (DOE) and testing verification methods
- Understanding and expertise in metal Additive Manufacturing systems is highly preferred (i.e., laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF), directed energy deposition (DED), binder jetting, selective laser sintering (SLS), or sand casting)
- Experience in any of the following systems would be applicable (i.e., gas preparation systems, industrial gas filtration, glovebox systems, inert gas systems, and fume extraction)
- Additive Manufacturing industry experience or industries such as Aerospace & Defense, Semiconductor, and Power would be applicable.
- Working knowledge of simulation tools (i.e., ANSYS) and the ability to analyze simulation results
- Experience integrating large systems, and knowledge of electro-mechanical actuation systems and sensors
- Research & Development experience
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, with a practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- VulcanForms Inc. is a registered ITAR company. To conform to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance are available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays
- 401(k) with company match and stock options
Get fresh Senior Gas Engineer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.