Vulcan Value Partners LLC Birmingham, AL
- Posted: over a month ago
Would you love the chance to apply your data science skills to building a new machine learning and AI function using state-of-the-art technology? Do you want an opportunity to work in a startup environment within a well-established and successful firm? Are culture, benefits, leadership, training, innovation, collaboration and communication important to you in the workplace? If so, this is your chance to work for a company that has been rated by employees as the #1 Best Places to Work in Money Management for years.
Vulcan Value Partners is an investment management firm located in Birmingham, Alabama and manages approximately $17 billion in AUM as of December 31, 2020. We are value investors—business analysts with a long-term time horizon focused on purchasing publicly traded companies that are competitively entrenched at significant discounts to intrinsic worth. Our data science team is focused on using scalable machine learning to extract actionable insight from datasets across the firm.
We are seeking to add a Software Engineer to help build a world-class technology infrastructure leveraging data from across the firm. The ideal candidate is self-directed, curious, and loves exploring new technologies to solve real problems, both individually and with others. Their role will be to identify and onboard new datasets using Python, lead efforts to continually improve code quality across the team, especially in Machine Learning Operations, and design scalable and robust computing for the future. Additionally, the Software Engineer will collaborate and cross-train with our Data Scientists to apply modern machine learning frameworks on large text and numerical datasets.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Build scalable Python data pipelines to drive top-line productivity and machine learning applications
- Lead engineering efforts to design and implement constantly improving code practices centered around testing, maintainability, and scalability
- Cross-train to develop GPU-accelerated machine learning skills and intuition
- Opportunity to spend time on moonshot projects and professional development
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Ability to focus and deliver projects from throughout the software development life cycle
- Interpersonal skills necessary to thrive in a professional office setting
- Capability to prioritize and contribute to multiple projects in a fast-paced, Agile-based team
- Strong analytic and statistical skills on structured and unstructured data
- Self-motivation, abilitity to work independently, and to learn new concepts quickly
- Financial industry knowledge or interest
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, or related area; M.S. or Ph.D. a plus.
- 3+ years of software development experience, or 1+ year with an advanced degree
- Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills in Python, ideally on a Linux platform; experience with additional languages a plus
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices for software development life cycle, especially version control systems (e.g. Git) and scalable deployment (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with test automation, code refactoring, and test-driven development, preferably in PyTest
- Parallel or distributed computing experience a plus
- Experience with SQL a plus
- Experience with machine learning packages such as scikit-learn, xgboost, and Tensorflow/Pytorch a plus
 Pensions & Investments Best Places to Work in Money Management in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 for managers with 50 to 99 employees.
Powered by JazzHR
Vulcan Value Partners LLC
TechnologyView all jobs at Vulcan Value Partners LLC