Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans' services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Provides 270 subsidized housing units for veterans, graduates of substance abuse programs, people with disabilities, and the working poor. This facility provides multiple support services to its residents and has a beautifully landscaped courtyard and comfortable community areas making Ballington Plaza an oasis in the heart of Skid Row.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Primary responsibility of tending an area of land for aesthetic or functional purposes;
- Duties includes mowing grass, trimming hedges, pulling weeds, planting flowers, etc.
- Maintains the interior and exterior of all buildings, parking lots and grounds in good condition.
- Performs or assists in executions of minor repairs that might include the following:
- Carpentry, Plumbing, Interior painting, Refurbishing and cleaning, Landscape and irrigation systems.
- Follows daily maintenance checklist provided by supervisor; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in maintenance store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms
- Checks buildings for any safety concerns; understands and carries out VOALA, federal and other governmental regulations.
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time.
Formal education, diplomas, degrees, licenses and/or certifications.
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate).
- Must be over the age of 18 years.
- Valid California driver's license and dependable transportation with adequate insurance.
Type and number of years of directly related work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of general maintenance experience.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
Skills and abilities required to meet the essential functions of the position - what one does.
- Knowledge of use and care of hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of use of landscaping hand and power tools.
- Basic building maintenance skills.
- Must be able to lift (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), squat, kneel, bend and walk continuously.
- Client- focused, prompt, collaborative, organized, team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate.
- Hard working and able to work with others as well as independently.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
- Ability to read and understand written instructions in English.
- Prior landscaping experience.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.