Volunteers of America, Inc. (VOA, Inc.) is a national, faith-based human services organization that was founded in New York City in 1896 and has remained at the forefront of social service ever since, helping individuals and families in need overcome obstacles to living safe, healthy and productive lives in the community. The largest of the affiliates, Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) serves tens of thousands of men, women, and children in need every year, through 80 programs staffed by 1,300 skilled and dedicated staff, throughout New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-GNY's life-changing, often life-saving work impacts the lives of individuals and families who are homeless and those at risk of homelessness, families recovering from domestic violence, children with developmental delays, individuals living with HIV/AIDS or behavioral health issues, older adults and veterans struggling to reintegrate. VOA, Inc. is one of the largest providers of permanent, supportive housing in the United States. VOA-GNY is the largest provider of supportive housing for veterans in New York, and is committed to addressing the needs of the community with compassion, creativity, respect, and therapeutic models that inform our work.
High School diploma and New York State Certification as a Teacher Assistant.
1. Work with individual children or groups of children on special instructional projects and activities as planned in conjunction with the teacher.
2. Write individual anecdotal records and/or keep record of discrete trial instruction of students by providing the teacher with information about the children that will assist the teacher in the development of appropriate learning experiences.
3. Meet with teacher to plan instructional activities and materials thereby utilizing their own special skills and abilities by assisting in instructional programs in such areas as: foreign languages, arts, crafts, music, and similar subjects.
4. Escort students to and from the school buses at arrival and dismissal time. Escort students throughout the building outside of the classroom.
5. Communicate with parents verbally and in writing under the direction of the teacher, or in absence of the teacher.
6. Participate in staff development activities.
7. Attend team meeting conferences as appropriate.
8. Assume the position of teacher-in-charge of a classroom for up to 40 days during the school in the absence of a certified classroom teacher.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today!Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled.
*Pay Type:* Hourly
*Required Education:* High School