Under the clinical supervision of the Rehabilitation Director, the Residential Counselor is responsible for the provision of direct services which promote the ability of clients to participate in appropriate community activities and which contribute to the development and utilization of skills necessary for independent living. Additionally, the Residential Counselor will participate in the assessment of the client's rehabilitation needs and in the development, implementation and monitoring of the client's individual rehabilitation plan. The Residential Counselor is also responsible for providing crisis services, including intensive support and assistance, and may be required to provide follow-along services to suspended or discharged clients. The Residential Counselor is responsible for driving and/or transporting clients.
The Residential Counselor is also responsible for ensuring that clients develop and utilize skills that contribute to the maintenance of a safe residential environment as well as documenting service delivery. The Residential Counselor may be privileged to provide basic health teaching in the areas of nutrition, exercise, dental care, substance abuse prevention, and prevention of injury and illness at home and in the community as well as training in communicable disease prevention.
The successful applicant will have a High School Diploma or GED plus must have at least two years of experience working in a mental health residential setting and/or social service related field. This may include some related post high school education. A Bachelor's Degree in related field or Registered Nurse licensure with at least 1 year experience providing rehabilitative services or working with persons with chronic mental illness is preferred.
- This position requires driving a company vehicle (up to a 15 passenger) for company business and transporting clients. Must be privileged to drive according to the criteria set forth by Agency MVR guidelines.
- Valid driver’s license in jurisdiction of residence
- Acceptable Criminal background check, OIG Exclusion check
- Negative Drug and TB Screening
- CPR/First Aid Certification must be acquired and maintained once employed
- Participates in the assessment of clients' rehabilitative service needs and in the development, implementation and monitoring of the individual's rehabilitation plan
- Coordinates activities and delivers rehabilitation and support services which address individual client goals and objectives contained within the client's rehabilitation plan which are directed toward the development or restoration of independent living skills.
- Such activities may include the development or restoration of self care skills including personal hygiene, grooming, menu planning and preparation, socialization skills, independent living skills, including the maintenance of the individual's living environment, community awareness, mobility skills and/or money management.
- The Residential Counselor may be privileged to provide health teaching and prevention of communicable diseases.
- Provides basic supervision in home-like environments for individuals with varying levels of mental illness.
- Coordinates activities which promote community integration.
- Communicates with program staff regarding client progress.
- Documents service delivery and prepares daily billing statements as directed.
- As needed, and when privileged, monitors client self administration of prescribed medication, provides for safe storage of medications and monitors client reaction to medication, taking appropriate action when necessary. May also provide reinforcing education on the role and effects of medication in symptom management.
- As needed, and when privileged, provides basic health teaching in areas including nutrition, exercise, dental care, substance abuse prevention, prevention of injury and illness at home and in the community, and the prevention of communicable disease; including the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and blood borne pathogens including, HIV/AIDS.
- Ensures assigned vehicles are maintained appropriately.
- Collects and records data as required. Monitor resident and program documentation.
- Participates in discharge planning and the provision of follow-along services when appropriate.
- Attends staff meetings, training, house and program meetings as required.
- Ensures client and program compliance with VOAC policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining homes inspection ready and reporting problems to the Residential Coordinator.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical requirements described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- The ability to safely operate a motor vehicle to transport oneself, consumers, and program supplies as necessary.
- The physical ability to travel to assigned locations, stand, stoop, bend, reach, pull, push, lift, grasp, climb, talk, see, hear and perform basic and light home maintenance activities, and operate office equipment.
- Move and lift light objects up to 30 pounds such as mail, supplies, files, and equipment.
- Operating office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive hand/arm movements.
- The ability to remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally, ability to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- Services will be provided which address clients' rehabilitative service needs.
- Clients will participate safely and more independently in activities of community life.
- Provide supervision for residents to maintain community placements and reduce hospitalizations.
- VOAC policies and procedures will be implemented and programmatic requirements will be met.
- Maintain close communication with the coordinator staff and other house counselors.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.