QUALIFICATIONS: The Residential Counselor assigned to the agency shall have a high school diploma or equivalent, it is preferred a RC candidate shall have at least one (1) year of experience working with dysfunctional adolescents, other than offspring. Must be able to lift 10 lbs. overhead.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
General Responsibilities: Under general supervision, maintain a secure and safe environment, by providing constant monitoring and supervision of the residents in the program. The direct care staff’s ultimate responsibility is the general welfare of the residents.
1. Provide constant monitoring and supervision of the youths in the program.
2. Ensures that he/she is alert and awake at all times while on duty.
3. Follows and enforces program policies and procedures in the discharge of their duties, in particular, those policies and procedures related to safety, discipline and rewards, crisis intervention and security.
4. Observes and corrects resident’s behavior as necessary to recognize symptoms and make recommendations regarding treatment of residents.
5. Attends all staff meetings to discuss case and safety issues.
6. Answer the telephone, takes messages or contacts appropriate staff to handle emergencies or crisis.
7. Assists in the handling or emergencies or crisis.
8. Enforces program rules while on duty.
9. Understands and observes State and Federal laws concerning confidentiality.
10. Performs related work as required.
11. Must have a valid Tennessee driver’s license; be insurable by Volunteer Youth Academy auto insurance company to be permitted to transport residents in program vehicles to appointments during your shift. This is required to obtain/maintain employment with Volunteer Youth Academy.
12. Performs related work as required such as documentation of goal sheets, fire and tornado drills, unit inspections, smoke detector tests, incident reports both critical and serious, 15 minute bed checks, daily supervision checklist (holidays only), pass related information, keeping unit clean inside and out, transportation of residents in company vehicle if employee meets company transportation requirements and emergency evacuations.
13. I understand that taking a resident out to your personal vehicle is against safety regulations and violation of policy and procedure and can lead to disciplinary action up to termination.
14. Stay in ratio at all times.
15. Attend all mandatory meetings including in-service, CPI, CPR,and PQI meetings and any other trainings required.
16. Extend shift coverage until release due to extenuating circumstances and severe weather.
17. All Residential Counselors must check with Lead Counselor before leaving to ensure all duties are completed and coverage has arrived.
18. Residential Counselors are accountable for all incomplete documentation for the shift (Unless staff is on transport.) Staff on transport must complete documentation on those residents in their care.
19. As a Residential Counselor, I agree to work 2 8-hour shifts (Saturday and/or Sunday) every other weekend.
The Residential Counselor position does not require you nor allow you to be involved in any recreational activities during your shift.
Part-time and PRN positions available.