Director of Operations
- Posted: over a month ago
Volumetric Building Companies (VBC) is building the future of housing. As an innovative, vertically integrated volumetric modular company, we leverage new technology while embracing tried and true practices to deliver an end-to-end solution to our clients. From ideation to design and engineering, manufacturing and construction, VBC delivers the highest quality product in the most efficient way possible creating immense value for our clients while innovating new techniques and processes that benefit the entire construction industry.
VBC is comprised of three divisions, VBC | Studio, VBC | Manufacturing, and VBC | Construction that all work together to support and realize the vision of each of our clients. As one of the only vertically integrated volumetric modular construction companies, we are able to facilitate an entire project versus the number of time intensive handoffs that typically happen within a construction project. These efficiencies allow projects to be completed more quickly allowing for faster ROI and, ultimately, more value for our client.
The sky is the limit for the future of VBC. We want innovative and driven people who will embrace our shared purpose and goals as we build the future of housing together. More information can be found at www.vbc.coJob Description
In this role, you will oversee all operational support functions for the manufacturing processes at VBC This is a unique opportunity to help support the launch of VBC’s modular and cabinet manufacturing west coast profit centers. Your primary goal will be to help make the Tracy facility fully operational, contribute to product development, certifications, permitting and establish the required core processes to enable rapid growth.
You will also be responsible for:
- Managing and mentoring the Production Control team, including materials management and shop floor control, maintenance engineering, quality control, environmental, health and safety, and facilities team
- Ensuring expense reduction and improve productivity across all product lines
- Leading, mentoring and managing the Production Control function at VBC Tracy, including the Master Production Schedule (MPS), all materials management (including establishing min/max levels of inventory), and the Shop Floor Control function (including logical kitting).
- Establishing the Quality Control inspection methods which ensure 100% compliance to design specifications and requirements
- Establishing Quality Assurance processes to ensure the VBC workforce consistently adheres to VBC standard work, including standard operation procedures (SOPs) and work instructions (WIs).
- Ensuring all employees follow industry standard health and safety guidelines
- Leading process validation and verification efforts for automated equipment, manufacturing lines, and software infrastructure
- Establishing standard operating procedure and work instructions to enhance efficiency without compromising safety or quality
- Producing periodic reports to update leadership of on progress of operations
- Maintaining all technical product related documentation (certifications, permitting, etc.)
- Working closely with the Director of Manufacturing to plan and implement action plans for improved operations, quality control, and production throughput
- Communicating any problems or obstacles to senior management
- Building a fun and inclusive culture in the technical operations team
What We Expect
- You are an individual contributor - you can execute your goals with minimal direction
- You have keen focus on Standard Work – you are process oriented; when there is no process, you develop one.
- You are resourceful – you can operate in a startup environment, manage a variety of tasks, and take the initiative to get things done
- Understanding of design to manufacturing software (Autodesk, hsbCAD, etc.)
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel required
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, construction management or equivalent related field experience required
What You Will Achieve
After 3 months you will have...
- Fully staffed the operations team to fully support the profit centers
- Established and begun tracking and reporting KPIs to the Leadership team
- Completed the first draft MPS
- Established inventory min/max levels for commodity; spot-buy Kanban for low-rate material procurement
- Established lean materials point-of-use and replenishment methods on the shop floor such as 2-bin, Kanban, supermarket, etc.
- Completed product development process, all necessary certifications, and supporting documentation to support product sales
- Established and implemented internal processes to facilitate manufacturing processes to enable product sales
After 6 months you will have...
- Completed product development, certification, and documentation processes for our structural components business units
- Achieve 100% safety goals
- Developed logical QC inspection methods for KPCs that ensure 100% quality metrics across the organization
- Fully developed the MPS
- Achieved 97% on-time delivery to shop floor for all materials.
- Successfully developed a standardized product portfolio capable of being mass produced using our highly automated equipment
We believe the future of housing is inclusive. As such, VBC is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity, or any other factory protected by applicable federal, state, and or local laws.
VBC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need special accommodation at any point during the interview process.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Volumetric Building Companies
BusinessView all jobs at Volumetric Building Companies