In order to support new business growth and maximize operational excellence, our client intends to hire a Lean Champion. This position will report directly to the COO and will be based at the company's facility in Burbank, CA.
Leads and designs Lean Manufacturing goals and strategies for improving the operations and processes within the organization. Manages all activities for continuous improvement and performance enhancement. Employs Lean methodologies and tools to accomplish business objectives. Responsible for establishing, implementing and ensuring continual improvement of lean manufacturing initiatives. Responsible for scheduling and leading cross-functional teams in Kaizen events. Responsible for supporting the organization through lean manufacturing to resolve problems with the manufacturing system (workflow, planning, process improvement, budget goals, safety, shipping delays, etc.).
The Lean Champion will be responsible for leading an environment that embraces lean manufacturing strategy to improve quality, schedule and processes.
To achieve the mission for this position, the Lean Champion will produce the following critical actions and results:
- Assists with production schedules and solving problems encountered during the production process.
- Creates and implements Kaizen events. Tracks and reports the costs associated with all Kaizen events. Ensures continual improvement and sustainment.
- Responsible for training employees in lean manufacturing and Six Sigma principles, tools, and techniques. Provides leadership and is responsible for cell team efforts in developing and exceeding quality, schedule and cost objectives.
- Creates and develops a spirit of cooperation through employee involvement, development, shared knowledge and partnered problem solving.
- Continually monitors the organization's quality, schedule, cost and business performance while encouraging employees to assume ownership and accountability for closure of the improvement/action plans.
- Develops and coordinates the annual and long-range plans to support the organization's goals.
- Prepares charts, graphs, and diagrams to illustrate workflow, routing, floor layouts, material handling, and machine utilization.
- Analyzes work force utilization, facility layout, and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts, and production schedules to determine efficient utilization of workers and equipment.
- Observes and records workers' operating equipment, tasks, methods, time of performing tasks, etc.
- Recommends revisions to operation methods, material handling, equipment layout, or other changes to increase production efficiently and improve standards.
- Confers with management, supervisors, and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
Must be a self-starter, a decision-maker and capable of working closely with other Supervisors/ Managers to support organization's goals. Must be well versed in general manufacturing techniques involved in the fabrication of sheet metal products and welding to direct personnel in the areas of production, scheduling, material handling and process improvements.
Must have a well-rounded knowledge of all phases of manufacturing methods, with heavy emphasis on material throughput, department loading, lean manufacturing and meeting customer schedules. Must have the ability to work under pressure and to maintain cooperative relationships at all levels.
The ideal candidate will have the following education, work history, knowledge and skills.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (preferably Mechanical) .
Skills & Experience:
- 5 or more years of related work experience.
- Must be currently working in a complex manufacturing environment with a workforce of over 300 employees.
- Aerospace production experience is required.
- Experience with a high mix, low volume manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Mix of experience managing and transforming culture in large assembly operations.
- Career progression with progressively more responsible roles within production operations.
- Lean / Continuous Improvement trained and certified.
- Experience with and oriented toward metrics in business analysis.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work within a team.
- Excellent written and verbal skills are mandatory.
- Access to our facility (and, therefore, employment) is restricted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) to U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents of the United States and properly licensed foreign persons. Applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide information to determine whether they are subject to these regulations and, if so, to assess their country of chargeability for export control purposes)
Personality and Character:
The ideal candidate will have most of the following traits:
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Open and honest communicator
- Desire to achieve through engaging an entire team
- Leads by example
- Team player.
- Accountable and willing to hold others accountable in an objective, straight-forward manner
- Willing to confront and resolve conflicts
- Logical, organized and detail oriented with the ability to see big picture
- Mentor style that promotes success of the team
*Volt is an equal opportunity employer*