The Maintenance Team Lead performs all the functions of the Maintenance Technician II and in addition, leads the maintenance team in delegating tasks, assignments and projects (includes NCRs; PMs and PPMs). This position also has the responsibility of keeping management informed of potential issues.
The Maintenance Technician II performs duties as assigned in the maintenance; preventive maintenance; repair, set-up or servicing of packagers, slicers, grinders, stuffers, mixers, heat shrink tunnels, metal detectors, air handlers, refrigeration equipment and compressors, etc. Basic repairs of mechanical equipment and machinery used in the operation of food processing, packaging and air handling equipment are also essential functions. This position also performs facilities maintenance up to and including light electrical and plumbing repair. Must be accountable and a self-starter.
The Maintenance Technician II is the advanced class in the maintenance technician series. This position uses advanced principles, methods, techniques, tools and equipment in the installation, maintenance and repair of industrial, electrical, mechanical equipment and machinery common to food processing; food safety practices, safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the trade (including USDA regulations and SQF regulations); application of lock-out/tag-out procedures; use and operation of oxyacetylene and cutting torch materials; advanced electrical safety and confined space entry; elevation of a normal crew member to achieve abnormal results, ability to plan/execute all minor and major machine rebuilds within the allotted time.
The Maintenance Technician II as the advanced skill class in the series, is fully competent to independently perform all duties. This class is distinguished from the lower classification by the ability to work independently or instruct and supervise a team. This position demonstrates high energy and strength in technical problem solving based on expertise and experience. The focus of this specialized, technically oriented position is on meeting and exceeding high standards of accuracy and quality based on established systems, technologies and guidelines. Strength and speed in technical problem-solving and troubleshooting (PLC sensor and electrical controls) is essential to this role.
The Maintenance Technician II will be able to work a flexible schedule, which may include long hours, nights & weekends. Due to the fast-paced environment, decisions must be made quickly and firmly, within the defined scope of job and job expertise.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Working knowledge of OSHA, USDA standards, SQF standards, HAACP, and GMPs.
· Repairs and maintains, in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operation manuals, and manufacturer’s specifications.
· Repairs machinery and mechanical equipment, such as engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems and production machines and equipment, using hand tools and precision measuring and testing instruments.
· Observes mechanical devices in operation and listens to their sounds to locate causes of trouble.
· Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts, using hoists, cranes, hand tools and power tools.
· Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections.
· Inspects used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements, using rules, calipers, micrometers, and other measuring instruments.
· Adjusts functional parts of devices and control
· Demonstrates sound judgement, interpersonal skills and ability to prioritize work.
· Experienced with high speed thermo-forming packaging equipment, including vacuum packaging, MAP packaging and bagging, salting machines, presses, mixers, grinders and stuffers.
· Technical/analytical work within established systems, standards and procedures.
· Perform daily preventative, emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and non-production periods and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of all production equipment during machine service periods.
· Utilize maintenance skills, including but not limited to mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic troubleshooting and the repair of packaging and production machines.
· Ability to interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
· Disassemble and clean equipment properly to ensure operation of mechanical equipment.
· Maintain preventative maintenance logs, supplies by checking stock and completing purchasing request for parts needed or used.
· Remove defective parts by dismantling and replace using hand tools or power tools.
· Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures and compliance regulations.
· Installs replacement belts, filters, gears, chains and valves.
- Rebuilds valves, pumps and gearboxes.
- Performs repairs to machines involving machine guarding, bolt replacement and breakdowns due to mechanical wear.
- Welds machine components.
- Performs preventive maintenance tasks such as lubricating parts, drives chains, etc.
- Handles installations, including hooking up air, water, gas and the alignment and leveling of equipment.
- Work as a team by training, mentoring and providing guidance as needed.
· Perform other duties as assigned or needed
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical and mental demand described here are representative of those that must be me by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this role.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stop; kneel; crouch or crawl. Employee frequently gets oily, dirty, wet, cold, hot and may be exposed to fumes, smells or spices for brief periods of time. Employees will at most times be within proximity of meat and cheese.
- The employee must regularly lift and or move tools, materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Employees in this department are required to abide by company GMPs and wear hair nets and beard nets (if applicable) when in processing areas of the plants.
- Monitor pressures and flow rates of equipment
- Maintain PM logs
- Perform general maintenance on the facility, welding – sanitary and structural
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
· 5 years experience in Industrial Maintenance or related Technical discipline.
· Experience in food processing (meat, dairy, etc.)
· Ability to work flexible hours and occasional weekends as required.
· Exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
· Employee would be responsible for having their own hand tools.
· Great attitude with strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills.