Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures with minimal to moderate supervision. Recognizes unusual test results and difficulties while performing these procedures and makes necessary simple corrections. Teaches others performance of routine procedures.
- Assesses the urgency of a test and uses this assessment to prioritize workload.
- Prepares specimens for testing, verifies patient identification on samples and test requisition before testing, applies rules of specimen rejection and arranges for recollection.
- Uses and maintains equipment and instruments used in test performance, documents quality controls, performs minor troubleshooting, and maintains clean work area.
- Prepares reagents as required for test performance.
- Calculates, reports, and records test results. Analyzes results for critical values and reports results immediately.
Works in an environment interacting with physicians, patients, technologist, and other healthcare teammates. Works in an area that contains biohazardous (infectious) materials along with chemical, fire, and mechanical hazards. Each teammate has the responsibility to work in a safe manner. May be required to stoop, reach and lift light (20 pound) to moderately heavy (50 pound) loads.
Education, Experience and Certifications
MLT (ASCP) or registry eligible; or Associates degree in chemical, biological or physical science and 1 year of clinical laboratory experience; or HEW license or MT (AMT) certification required. Hospital setting laboratory experience preferred.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.