As a Senior Development Editor, you will be a key contributor to Vista Higher Learning's dynamic editorial team and will leverage your expertise to create and edit content for print and digital publications. In this role, you will be involved with a variety of research, copyediting, and copywriting projects for VHL's industry-leading language learning publications geared towards higher ed. In addition to overseeing and coordinating the progress of ongoing projects, you will also support VHL's Editorial Managers with all aspects of the editorial planning process and contribute to the team by developing and selecting engaging and relevant content for Spanish learning materials as well as editing and revising content for publication. The ideal candidate has considerable experience as a Development Editor, possesses a keen eye for grammar in both English and Spanish, and uses strong project management, time management, organization, and communication skills. He or she is also extremely detail oriented. A true passion for languages and learning is essential!
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead projects and support Editorial Manager in developing and creating project plans
• Collaborate with Editorial Manager to create content guidelines, best practices and training documents
• Manage freelancers, answer inquiries and troubleshoot issues as they arise
• Edit and create content for publication, research 3rd party content and collaborate with project managers
• Help train and mentor Associate Editors and Editorial Assistants
• Prepare manuscripts, tearsheets, photo specs, audio scripts and bookmaps for delivery
• Create transcripts and translations of video material as well as create and manage manuscript schedules
• Research television clips, short films and or literary readings for inclusion in Vista Higher Learning Spanish titles and research other ad hoc projects as needed
• Write activities and articles and copyedit materials for publication in accordance with corporate guidelines
• Collaborate with in-house Editorial Development and Project Management teams
• File and store critical electronic manuscript files and all relevant print materials in a secure and appropriate manner
• Track and enter data in Excel
• Lead team meetings
• Supports the Sales and Marketing teams from an editorial perspective
• Other tasks as necessary
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
• A BA/ BS degree; MA strong plus
• 7+ years of editorial experience in publishing
• Must possess native proficiency (written and verbal) in English
• Must possess near native proficiency in Spanish (able to create and edit content in perfect Spanish)
• Successful track record in planning, writing, and editing content for large-scale print/digital educational products with high regard to quality and schedule
• Solid understanding of the American market for world language education at either the Higher Education or Secondary level
• Excellent writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
• Excellent communication and presentation skills - both written and verbally
• Strong project management skills and experience; Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines for self and others
• Pays strict attention to details and is capable of keeping track of multiple ongoing high-priority projects simultaneously
• Ability to work in a fluid and fast paced environment with shifting priorities
• A passion for travel and languages
• Strong MS Word and MS Excel skills
• An interest in training and mentoring less experienced team members
• Experience with Adobe, K4 or InDesign is a strong plus
• Prior experience teaching is a strong plus
Why join us?
At Vista Higher Learning, we are proud to say that we're not just another publisher. We're the leading specialized language publisher for the U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets, whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We're passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring fresh new approaches to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German (with more to come soon), Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life / health / dental / vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, commuter pass subsidies, PTO, and paid holidays. We also offer a variety of perks, such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio and strength training classes, and much more!
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Vista Higher Learning