Cloud Financial Ops Analyst
Visionary Technology Consultants Washington, DC
- Posted: over a month ago
Visionary Technology Consultants is seeking experienced Financial Operations Analyst to support our client's Global Technology Business Management division. Our client, Discovery Communications, is the world’s #1 pay-tv programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations (GT&O) provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
* This is a six-month assignment which will lead to permanent employment with the client based on successful performance.
Discovery Inc is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual that has the one team mentality.
The Cloud FinOps Analyst reports into the Cloud Cost Management (Cloud FinOps) team within Discovery’s GT&O group. The team is responsible for overseeing the global and multi cloud footprint for Discovery Inc with a critical mission focused on promoting, governing, and implementing economical consumption. The Cloud FinOps Analyst will work with a wide range of stakeholders to promote a culture of cost accountability and awareness for Discovery’s cloud consumption. Key areas the role will support include financial modeling, budgeting and forecasting, consumption analysis and KPIs, showback and analytics, and capacity management.
The Cloud FinOps Analyst will be a critical member of the team working directly with our cloud clients, leadership, and vendors:
● Support the cloud monthly budget and forecast process in managing consumption, showback, and savings in collaboration with accounting, finance, and technical owners
● Support stakeholders in understanding their cloud spend based on their business roadmap and budgeted forecast.
● Monitor cloud consumption at the account level to detect, investigate, and escalate anomalies and unplanned spikes
● Analyze, report, and produce meaningful insights from large raw datasets within cloud billing and usage tools, data lake, CMDB, and other asset inventories as applicable
● Collaborate with Cost Optimization Engineers to track resource utilization in order to define and execute relevant cloud commitment plans and to define strategies to re-purpose freed up capacity
● Design, develop, and maintain reports and KPIs that provide detailed usage statistics of resources across the multi cloud landscape
● Evaluate and investigate data patterns to derive insightful knowledge that can inform strategic and operational decisions
● Participate in business case development, cost modeling, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and trade-off exercises
● Participate in automating, integrating, and maturing the Cloud FinOps team’s processes and data
● Basic knowledge of AWS Cloud services, Cost Explorer, and AWS billing semantics (CUR report, AWS Invoice process, Reserved Instances, Savings Plans...etc)
● Knowledge of the core Finance principles and basic understanding of the corporate accounting process (forecast, invoicing, chargeback, accruals...etc)
● Experience in developing cost trade off studies, cost models, and business cases
● Ability to navigate, cleanse and integrate raw data to develop dynamic dashboards using data analytics tools such as PowerBI, Google Big Query, GSuite products etc..
● Has aptitude to learn and understanding new concepts and technologies to become an expert in the field
● Deep analytical, critical thinking and quantitative skills
● Strong organizational and project management skills
● Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
● Team player and self driven with a transformation mindset. Able to work across functionally diverse teams
● Ability to operate successfully in a lean, agile, and fast-paced organization
● +2 years of relevant work experience at a large multi million cloud environment
● Possess a FinOps certification, or ability to attain within 6 months
● Possess an AWS Practitioner certification or ability to attain within 12 months
● Knowledge of GCP and Azure cloud services and billing semantics
● Knowledge in SQL queries, Amazon Aurora, and PostgresQL
● Experience in navigating and managing cloud CMDB
● Past experience working for a large Media company or familiarity with the Media value chain
● Experience working closely with external IT vendors
● BS degree in Computer Science, MIS, Finance or equivalent; MS preferred
Visionary Technology ConsultantsWhy Work Here?
Looking for a professional work team and environment to share your skills with? This is your where you want to be!
Visionary Technology Consultants (VTC) is a Minority and Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB). We provide innovative technology management and human resource services to our partners in the government and commercial spheres, covering arenas spanning defense, health, education, finance, entertainment, and technology. Our proven solutions have enabled our customers to keep pace with the rapid evolutions in technology and maximize their people and product investments. Our distinctive approaches respond to the challenges faced by all organizations to continually improve operational efficiency while minimizing operating costs.
Finance and Insurance