Mobile Diesel Technician/Mechanic
- Posted: over a month ago
REPORTS TO: Director of Maintenance
SUMMARY: Maintains diesel equipment operation by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements; correcting vehicle deficiencies; making adjustments and alignments; keeping records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: “Essential functions” are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
· Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests; identifying worn and damaged parts.
· Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; completing winterization procedures.
· Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
· Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements.
· Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
· Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
· Enters and updates TMT software, opens, data entry and closes repair orders.
· Maintains a clear line of communication to the Assistant Director of Maintenance and other staff in the maintenance department via phone and data entered in TMT.
· Keeps mobile shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
· Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
· Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
· Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
· Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Class A CDL license preferred but not required.
· Skilled in tooling, supply management, inventory control, use of mechanical inspection tools and technical understanding.
· Knowledge of DOT compliance, laws, rules, regulations and safety is helpful.
· Knowledge of Cummins insite, Davie, Dossier a plus.
· Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and completion in preparing and entering information.
· Attention to detail and possess a high level of accuracy.
· Comfortable working in a fast pace environment.
· Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain positive relationships with dispatch team and auto haulers.
· Possess effective verbal and listening skills.
· Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain when performing essential duties. Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with time constraints, interruptions and stressed dispatchers and drivers.
· Work may require more than 40 hours per week. Opportunity for overtime at times, in support of business needs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit/stand for most of his/her job duties. There is the need to frequently walk and sit. There will be a moderate amount of standing, stooping, kneeling, bending, lifting and reaching for some of his/her job duties. The job requires working out in the elements 70% (+/-) of the time.
Visual requirements include reading off a computer screen as well as printed materials. A high degree of dexterity is required due to frequent use of a telephone console.
Verbal and auditory requirements include the ability to communicate clearly over the telephone as well as in person.
There is a moderate level of grasping, lifting, pushing and/or pulling of objects of more than 25 lbs.
This Job Description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them for the position if the work is similar, related or a reasonable requirement of the position. Additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
Virginia Transportation Corp
AutomotiveView all jobs at Virginia Transportation Corp
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?