# Position Information
VDOT serves the citizens of the Commonwealth and travelling public daily through our mission to plan, deliver, operate and maintain a transportation system that is safe, moves people and goods, enhances the economy, and improves quality of life. VDOT's culture centers on:
- Creativity and collaboration that values differences,
- Nimble learning
As a heavy truck and Senior Equipment Repair Technician, using VDOT supplied tools and specialized equipment, you will:
- Identify, diagnose and repair all types of deficiencies on state-owned equipment and vehicles, including gasoline, diesel, and propane engines; manual, automatic, hydrostatic, and power shift transmissions; computerized central hydraulic systems, engine computers, body control modules, electronic ignition, and fuel injection systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance and state inspection on vehicles.
- Welding, fabrication and special repairs including design, fabricate, modify and weld components and perform advanced specialized hydraulic repairs.
- Serve as lead technician or acting supervisor when needed.
- Provide technical guidance to lower technicians.
- Participate, function and promote team environment.
- Per agency business needs, may serve as a mobile field technician. This duty would require frequent day travel within the assigned geographical area.
We are a "Virginia Values Veterans" (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010) . If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application. VDOT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit "Information for VDOT Employees and Applicants" at: Information for VDOT Employees and Applicants.
We have Shared Values and a Code of Ethics. Your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values, therefore please Click Here to review them and, if in agreement, we welcome you to apply.
In addition to a rewarding work experience, VDOT offers excellent health and life insurance benefits, pre-tax spending accounts, state funded Short and Long Term Disability, paid holidays, vacation, tuition assistance, free wellness programs, and a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching. Click Herefor additional information.
VDOT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
You are minimally qualified if you have:
- Advanced skill and proficiency in diagnostics, repair, and preventive maintenance on all types of highway maintenance equipment and vehicles.
- Knowledge of proper hazardous waste disposal, OSHA and VOSH regulations, and general shop safety practices.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical repair manuals, schematics, gauges and testing devices, as well as use computerized diagnostic shop equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor lifting up to 50 lbs. and operate various types of equipment.
- Certification in ASE Master Automobile or ASE Master Medium-Heavy Truck.
- Certification in ASE L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialists - Light Duty or ASE L2 Electronic Diesel Diagnosis Specialists-Heavy Duty.
- Certification in AWS Welding Mild Steel certification for Stick and MIG or IFPS Certified Mobile Hydraulics Mechanic.
- Considerable skill in using computerized diagnostic shop equipment and working with electronic components.
- **Ability to obtain CDL and DOT medical card within 6 months of employment and maintain thereafter.
- Ability to obtain Virginia State Inspection license and refrigerant recovery and recycling certification within 6 months of employment and maintain thereafter.**
- Valid driver's license required
Preferred qualifications include:
- Valid CDL
- Experience providing technical guidance to others.
- Skill in the use of computers and basic software applications with ability to maintain records and reports.
- ASE certifications
If selected as a finalist, you will undergo:
- References and verification of work history
- DMV Records Check
- Pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Fingerprint-based criminal history records check
Initial screening of candidates will be conducted on September 20, 2019 and then bi-weekly thereafter until position is filled.
This position is designated as essential and, as such, all duties associated with the job are required during emergency situations which may include but are not limited to inclement weather, disaster response, and emergency operations. Performance of these duties may require work outside of normal business hours including nights, weekends and holidays. VDOT will determine when essential positions are required to report.
Special Instructions to Applicants
State applications will only be accepted as submitted online by 11:59 pm on the closing date through the Recruitment Management System (RMS). State applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be considered. _Applicants are expected to fully represent qualifications and work history on the State application. The decision to interview an applicant is based on the information provided on the application, therefore, it is essential to fully complete each section of the application and provide detailed information. Submitting an incomplete state application, or a state application lacking in detail, may impact your interview eligibility._ This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application is submitted successfully. Please refer to "Your Application" in your RMS Account to check the status of your application for this position.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is an Equal Opportunity Employer by both policy and practice. For more information about our employment practices, please visit Information for VDOT Employees and Applicants.
Additional positions of equal or lesser duties/qualifications/classification may be filled from this recruitment within 90 days of the closing date. Salary commensurate with experience and applicable duties/classification.
# Contact Information
Culpeper District Human Resources
1601 Orange Road
Culpeper, VA 22701
Working Title: Heavy Truck and Equipment Repair Technician Sr
Role Title: Equipmt Serv Repair Tech II - 79052
Job Open Date: 09/09/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Is this position funded in whole or in part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Package)?: No
Hiring Range: $47,847 - $87,831- Salary based on qualifications
Agency: Dept of Transportation (501)
Agency Website: http://www.vdot.jobs/
Location: Fauquier - 061
Position Number: 08338
Job Posting Number: 1057326
Type of Recruitment: General Public - G
Does this position have telework options?: No
Bilingual/Multilingual Skill Requirement/Preference: No
Job Type: Full-Time (Salaried)
Job Type Detail: Full-Time Salaried - Non-Faculty- FTS-1
Pay Band: 04