General Engineer II
- Posted: January 31, 2023
General Engineer II
Under the direct supervision of the Director, assists in the installation, maintenance and repairs of the plumbing, sanitary, steam, electrical, heating & air conditioning systems and carpentry for the hospital and associated properties.
Join our team and unlock your potential!
VHC Health is a 453-bed nationally recognized Hospital and teaching facility that has been delivering high quality care to the Washington, DC metropolitan area for over 75 years. VHC is a proud member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network (a national network of independent healthcare organizations), a designated Level II Trauma Center and a recognized Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. We are proud to announce that the Leapfrog Group has awarded the hospital with an 'A' grade in Hospital Safety for the 19th year in a row, achieved an Outstanding Patient Experience Award for the 10th year in a row and VHC has ranked Number 2 in "Best Hospitals" in the Washington, DC metropolitan area by U.S. News and World Report's 2021-2022 rankings. At VHC we are always striving to provide continued excellence and growth for our employees as well as top notch care for our patients.Qualifications
- Meet requirements of General Mechanic/General Engineer Trainee.
- Two years experience as a General Mechanic or General Engineer.
- Graduate with certificate from a DFE approved general or special maintenance or engineering trades course, or have an added year's experience or combination preferred.
- Basic Boiler Operations (6th class NAPE or equivalent) to be obtained within 6 months.
- Uses all hand, maintenance and power tools and special tools and gauges properly.
- Writes or upgrades planned procedures for designated equipment or systems.
- Performs planned maintenance and records properly in DFE Planned Maintenance System.
- Performs repairs on assigned equipment according to DFE written procedures or manuals and record properly in DFE PM system.
- Understands and is able to operate the assigned equipment or systems.
- Performs duties with minimum supervision and in a timely manner.
- Has thorough knowledge of the hospital areas, departments or units.
- Has thorough knowledge of DFE manual (Main Manual and Manuals 1-4) to include emergency procedure requirements.
- Performs trainee duties in the boiler room under supervision of a licensed watch engineer.
- Is familiar with basic electricity and safety procedures.
- Performs electrical safety checks and minor repairs to portable general equipment, and record properly and in a timely manner.
- Monitors all hospital systems by visual and manual means and by computer.
- Monitor JC 85/40 computer for proper temperature, humidity and proper operations of chiller systems, boiler systems and air handling units, air distribution systems, exhaust systems and electrical systems.
- Performs duties in General (Watch) Engineer II in the Boiler Plant.
- Must take a course on basic boiler operations (6th Class NAPE or equivalent).
- Understands and knows basic principles of electricity, electrical circuitry and electrical safety.
- Performs electrical safety checks and repairs on portable and fixed FE assigned equipment and 120V circuits and records properly and in a timely manner.
- Paid Major Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off / Vacation
- Sick Time
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Undergraduate Student Loan Repayment
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Health Fitness & Education Class Discounts
- Employee Wellness Benefits
- Hospital Discount for Employees and Family
- VHC Retirement Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free onsite parking
- Commuter Benefits
- Career Coaching
- Family Leave
- 401(k) + Match
- and much more!
Virginia Hospital Center
1701 N. GEORGE MASON DRIVEArlington, VA
EngineeringView all jobs at Virginia Hospital Center
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?