Accounting Manager, General Ledger
- Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Retirement
Accounting Manager, General Ledger (GL)
The Accounting Manager, GL is responsible for managing the general ledger Accounting Team for VHC Health. Responsibilities include review of general ledger journal entries, schedules and reconciliations, and ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the policies and procedures of the organization. Trains, mentors, and evaluates general accounting staff, prioritizes and assigns work and projects, and prepares staffing plans to meet departmental needs. Assists the Health System Director of Accounting as directed with the management of other general accounting operations.
Come join a hospital dedicated to you and your career!
VHC Health is a 453-bed nationally recognized Hospital and teaching facility that has been delivering high quality care to the Washington, DC metropolitan area for over 75 years. VHC is a proud member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network (a national network of independent healthcare organizations), a designated Level II Trauma Center and a recognized Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. We are proud to announce that the Leapfrog Group has awarded the hospital with an 'A' grade in Hospital Safety for the 19th year in a row, achieved an Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ for the 10th year in a row and VHC has ranked Number 2 in “Best Hospitals” in the Washington, DC metropolitan area by U.S. News and World Report's 2021-2022 rankings. At VHC we are always striving to provide continued excellence and growth for our employees as well as top notch care for our patients.Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or in a Related Field required.
- Master's Degree in a related field preferred.
- Ten years of Accounting/Finance experience required.
- Seven years of Management/Supervision of General Accounting experience required.
- Five years of experience in Healthcare preferred.
- CPA required.
- Proven leadership and team building skills.
- Demonstrated success in management and supervision of general accounting functions.
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, analytical, financial, problem solving and communication skills.
- Previous public accounting experience is highly preferred.
- Superior attention to detail and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with ERP/Accounting system such as Workday is a plus.
- Proficient in technology.
- Manages all general accounting functions including general ledger, treasury, tax planning and preparation, and other regulatory reporting.
- Manages the General Ledger (GL) Team’s monthly financial close process within the deadlines determined for financial reporting and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP) and VHC Health Policies and Procedures.
- Reviews the general ledger team’s journal entries to ensure all accounting entries are appropriate, accurate, and assigned to the necessary level of staff. Verifies and confirms acceptability of supporting documentation and concurrence with GAAP.
- Responsible for Balance Sheet reconciliations prepared timely. Reviews reconciliation work papers to confirm supporting documentation is acceptable and sound, and reconciles to the applicable general ledger account.
- Provides review of capital items and ensures all fixed assets are reconciled timely and booked in accordance with GAAP and VHC Health policies and procedures.
- Effective setup and maintenance of the master GL structure and chart of accounts for the hospital and all affiliates; ensuring business and reporting flexibility.
- Works closely and under the direction of the Health System Director of Accounting to ensure the integrity of the VHC Health Financial Statements which are critical to the Health System.
- Manages general ledger accounting team which includes seven (7) direct reports; four (4) Senior Accountants and three (3) Staff Accountants, prioritizing and assigning work and projects, and training, mentoring and evaluating staff performance.
- Hiring, training and retaining competent general ledger accounting staff at all levels. Identify and provide opportunities for growth and development of new and necessary skills for continued high performance.
- Implements established financial\accounting policies and recommends changes, additions or deletions to policies.
- Develops, implements, and maintains the accounting, financial reporting and internal control systems to ensure accurate and timely financial reports.
- Identify opportunities to streamline and improve the efficiency and quality of the team’s accounting processes.
- Plans, develops, and establishes short and long-range goals for the department including technology and equipment needs.
- Adequately staff all areas of responsibility
- Works under the direction of the Health System Director of Accounting, to plan for and complete timely the organization’s tax filings to include: Form 990/990T, Sales Tax, and Required Escheatment Filings.
- Works under the direction of the Health System Director of Accounting, and in cooperation with the Payroll Manager, to plan for and file timely, the quarterly and year-end payroll regulatory reports. The process shall include verifying the reports reconcile to the associated general ledger accounts.
- Other regulatory reports, surveys and miscellaneous reporting as assigned.
- Plans and manages daily cash operations, reconciling bank accounts timely, and putting in place and maintaining daily cash balancing procedures on an intradepartmental, as well as, interdepartmental basis.
- Plans staffing to ensure cash management control and segregation of duties.
- Ensures bank reconciliations are both timely and accurate.
- Works cooperatively with all departments that handle cash transactions, assuring proper controls are in place and daily cash balancing is maintained.
- Ensures appropriate internal controls are in place to effectively safeguard organization assets
- Under the direction of the Health System Director of Accounting, plans, organizes, and coordinates the year-end close process with external financial auditors in the areas of direct responsibility. Ensures the preparation of auditor-requested information is prepared timely and with precision.
- Assists with other financial audits and reporting related inquiries as assigned.
- Manage and lead implementation/upgrades of general accounting software applications meeting major milestones and due dates.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Paid Major Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off / Vacation
- Sick Time
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Undergraduate Student Loan Repayment
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Health Fitness & Education Class Discounts
- Employee Wellness Benefits
- Hospital Discount for Employees and Family
- VHC Retirement Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free onsite parking
- Commuter Benefits
- Career Coaching
- Family Leave
- 401(k) + Match
- and much more!
Virginia Hospital CenterArlington, VA
Finance and InsuranceView All Virginia Hospital Center Jobs
Get fresh Accounting Manager, General Ledger jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.