The Purchasing Manager manages and coordinates the procurement of materials and services for all departments and assigned projects as part of Vicinity Energy’s district heating and cooling business in the South Region. Oversees receiving, warehousing, issuing and inventorying of materials. Coordinates accounts payable.
- Develops and issues purchase orders and other contractual agreements to support district energy business units in accordance with policies and procedures. Ensures that all purchase orders are properly prepared and marked with accurate account numbers in accordance with accounting requirements. Approves invoices for payment per company policies and procedures.
- Negotiates major purchase orders and contracts and reviews terms with Director, Vice President and Finance as appropriate. Coordinates all contract change orders with project management team.
- Maintains, evaluates and expands reliable sources of supply and backup sources of supply to ensure adequate supplier production capacity. Develops new suppliers.
- Develops relationships with key supplier personnel and improves understanding of cost, schedule and quality drivers. Evaluates and communicates performance measurements to suppliers, identifies areas for improvement and follows-up with corrective actions.
- Oversees procurement process ensuring all personnel comply with procurement policies and procedures.
- Develops, implements and communicates performance criteria for measuring Purchasing Department Performance Levels.
- Keeps constantly apprised of economic and business situations as they affect procurement policies and strategies. Develops new roles/procedures as needed due to changes in business situations, technology, processes or procedures.
- Oversees processes for receiving, storing, and issuing parts and consumables at all Baltimore locations. Ensures other sites have adequate controls in place for these tasks.
- Manages inventory, setting stocking levels, reorder points, and cycle counts to ensure optimal levels of parts are maintained to support successful plant operations.
- Oversees the accounts payable process. Supports managers in ensuring invoices are processed properly and in a timely manner.
- Develops departmental goals and activities required to meet overall business objectives. Establishes the standards, guidelines and procedures needed, specifies what is to be done at lower levels and how the resources allocated by upper management are to be deployed. Is expected regularly identify, evaluate and implement improvements to improve reliability, quality and/or cost effectiveness.
- Interfaces daily with other functional areas including Operations, Engineering, and Distribution.
EDUCATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Degree in Business Administration, Procurement, Operations or closely related field. Equivalent related experience with completion of an accredited management course may be considered in lieu of degree. Technical or Engineering background helpful but not required.
- Five to seven years progressive experience in purchasing, supply chain management, supplier quality systems and development and implementation of sourcing strategies.
- Maximo proficiency is required.
- Experience within the underground utilities environment is preferred.
- Ingenuity and initiative are required to coordinate problem resolution, resolve conflicting priorities and to meet assignment deadlines within a team environment.
- Demonstrated effective communication, presentation and interpersonal skills in order to interface with and motivate all levels of personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate, effective, complete and easily understood written communications and reports.
- Strong PC skills with proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and database software. The ability to optimize the use of technology and systems to communicate and to streamline processes and increase efficiency.
- Demonstrated commitment to compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Company’s Code of Business Conduct and other Company policies and procedures.
- Self-directed and confident in their ability to overcome challenges and respond to deviations without the need for direction.