Provides positive leadership, motivation, direction, training and interpretation of company policy to control room operators and other assigned employees. Is responsible for reliable and continuous service to customers. Operates and monitors plant equipment to ensure reliable, safe and efficient operation of the plant systems including chillers, high pressure boilers and auxiliary equipment using pulverized coal or natural gas as the primary fuel source.
1. Demonstrates leadership with department employees of various knowledge levels. Understands abilities, limitations and recognizes individual differences in people for purpose of motivating them to perform to customer expectation.
2. Provides on the job training to new employees. Teaches and/or seeks recommendation from Operations Manager for job development and refresher material to veteran employees periodically. Provides work direction, orientation, training and work review/inspection to assigned personnel for assigned shift.
3. Plans, schedules and implements daily activities and identifies and sets priority’s.
4. Communicates timely and relevant information to operations management, direct reports and others as situations necessitate. . Able to provide clear instructions to other employees during highly stressful, out of ordinary situations.
5. Schedules manpower, material and equipment necessary for task completions.
6. Monitors equipment, identifies problem areas and develops problem resolution for equipment failures and out of ordinary conditions. Performs trouble shooting, prepares work permits and work orders.
7. Maintains cost effective inventory control for department.
8. Provides charts, logs and reports as required to higher level management.
9. Ensures task completion, operations efficiency and reliability for unit and corporate goals attainment.
10. Monitors, notes, maintains proper operating conditions and performs inspections of chillers, steam turbines, HP boilers, auxiliary equipment and systems for local and remote facilities. Verify that all equipment and systems are operating within limitations for the intended purpose.
11. Maintain logs of the various aspects of the plant’s operation as required.
12. Controls, maintains and monitors pressures, temperatures and flows of steam system, feed water system, boilers, turbines, chilled water system, chillers, river water supply system, fly ash and bottom ash removal and disposal systems and water treatment systems along with other systems and equipment as assigned.
13. Performs preventive maintenance and repairs on equipment including minor maintenance on valves, pumps, etc. as required.
14. Performs chemical analysis on boiler water samples as required.
15. Operates and regenerates cold water zeolites to produce water for boiler operation.
16. 15. Locks out equipment for maintenance, unlocks equipment and tests equipment after completion of repair following established Lock Out/Tag Out Permit Procedures.
17. Monitors and maintains the cleanliness of the plant and equipment.
18. Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures. Reviews all work and assures all personnel perform work in accordance with established safety procedures.
19. Complies with all company policies and procedures and adheres to company standards.
20. Performs any other duties and tasks as assigned by Supervisor.
1. Standing, sitting, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, walking on uneven surfaces and grating, working from elevated platforms, scaffolding or ladders, required to lift 50 pounds and maneuver 100 pounds.
2. Ability to meet highest punctuality and attendance requirements.
3. Ability to use computer and calculator.
4. Must submit to a company provided physical and drug screening.
5. Must qualify to wear a respirator.
6. Must be willing and able to work rotating shifts that include holidays, nights and weekends.
1. Control Operator: Satisfactory completion of systems training and control room operator training program including written testing and practical testing.
2. Shift Supervisor training including written testing and practical testing for Shift Supervisor certification.
Education / Experience
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Technical trade school training is preferred.
3. Boiler or power plant experience preferred.
4. Chiller / chilled water system experience preferred.
5. Will be required to obtain a Kansas City Operating Engineers License.
6. Shift Supervisor: Two years’ experience in leadership capacity.
1. Exposed to temperature extremes, high noise level areas, high pressure steam lines and rotating equipment.
2. Environment is dusty and dirty.
3. Required to wear PPE such as hard hat, safety glasses, safety shoes, hearing protection and other protective gear as required.