With 13 networks in 10 major cities, Vicinity Energy is North America’s largest provider of district energy solutions, offering energy investment, infrastructure and management to municipal, commercial and institutional customers with mission-critical energy needs. Our 450+ skilled engineers, operators and energy experts have a singular dedication to our customers’ success and a relentless focus on delivering efficient energy, resilient management and operation of cooling and heating networks, the production of green energy and carbon footprint reductions for the customers and communities in which we serve.
The Accountant position will be responsible for various duties affecting all business units within the Vicinity Energy Northeast Region. They will assist with the completion of the month-end close, allocations, consolidation, policies and procedures, and ensure accuracy in accordance with IFRS and GAAP standards. In addition, they will be heavily involved with external auditors and the internal control team. Strong communication and organizational skills are essential to succeeding in this position.
Scope & Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Accountant will assist in various duties affecting all business units within the Northeast Region. They will also participate in the annual audit, budget, and reforecast processes. It is essential that the candidate is able to work in a fast paced environment.
- ● Complete month-end close and perform variance analysis for multiple operating facilities
- ● Create journal entries and maintain proper supporting documentation
- ● Maintain the fixed asset register and monitor monthly depreciation
- ● Reconcile Balance Sheet accounts monthly.
- ● Examine monthly and year-to-date profit and loss, providing detailed variance analysis against budget, prior year, and forecast
- ● Track and monitor costs for various projects and allocate costs to business units
- ● Reconcile bank statements and monthly activity
- ● Prepare internal and external financial statements
- ● Maintain the documentation of internal control procedures established under Sarbanes-Oxley
- ● Assist with external audit, budget, and forecasting processes
- ● Perform analysis of budget and reforecast process
- ● Ensures integrity of financial statements
Required Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- ● Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or Economics or related field
- ● 2 + years’ experience in public accounting or financial accounting in public industry including journal entries, account reconciliation and reporting.
- ● Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- ● Working knowledge of GAAP
- ● General knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
- ● General knowledge of reporting disclosure requirements
- ● Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization with personnel and executive management
- ● Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- ● Ability to independently complete multiple time-sensitive tasks