Skip to Main Content
← Back to Jobs

Veterans Service Representative

Veterans Benefits Administration Muskogee, OK
  • Expired: November 07, 2019. Applications are no longer accepted.

Veterans Service Representative
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Benefits Administration

  • ##### Open & closing dates
11/05/2019 to 11/13/2019
  • ##### Service
  • ##### Pay scale & grade
GS 7
  • ##### Salary
$42,053 to $54,670 per year
  • ##### Appointment type
  • ##### Work schedule
42 vacancies in the following location:

  • Muskogee, OK
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Telework eligible
Yes as determined by agency policy
  • Duties

  • ------
As a Veterans Service Representative (VSR) you will work on
veterans' benefits claims and provide comprehensive services to
America's Veterans and their families. The Veterans Service
Representative (VSR) explains benefit programs and entitlement
criteria, conducts interviews, identifies issues, gathers relevant
evidence, adjudicates claims, and inputs data necessary to generate
the award and notification letter to the veteran describing the
decision and the reason for it. As a VSR you will:
Learn more about this agency
  • Serve as a primary contact for the veteran and his/her
representative or advocate and the decision-maker for
compensation or pension claims
  • Explain the full range of VA benefits and all related programs
  • Make determinations as to eligibility for the type of benefit
sought and fully analyzes, develops, and requests required
evidence for certain claims requiring a rating decision
  • Decide the necessity for and type of examinations, reexamination
or opinions to determine the existence of or to evaluate
disabilities resulting from diseases or injuries
  • Develop comprehensive requests for these examinations/opinions
to ensure appropriate evidence is received from which to
adjudicate the claim
  • Prepare correspondence to members of Congress and special
interest groups on case assignments and other "controlled"
  • Utilize various electronic data processing (EDP) systems for
inputting data related to claims adjudication, processing,
monitoring, and correspondence preparation
  • Act as an advocate for veterans and their beneficiaries in their
dealings with other VA elements and organizations that affect
their claims
Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Supervisory status
Promotion Potential
  • #### Job family (Series)
0996 Veterans Claims Examining
  • Requirements

  • ------------
Conditions of Employment
  • You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
  • Selectees are subject to a background/suitability investigation
  • Selective Service registration is required for males born after
  • A probationary period may be required for employees and
  • Travel Required. 8 Weeks Challenge Training and location to be
determined at a later date
  • Required mandatory overtime
  • Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
  • VSR Skill Certification required at the GS-10 level
Specialized Experience:
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements
by the closing date of this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer
work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps,
AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional;
philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social).
Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and
skills and can provide valuable training and experience that
translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for
all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel Management's group coverage qualification
standards, associated individual occupational requirements (IOR),
and individual qualification standards covering white collar
occupations in the Federal competitive service can be found here.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent
to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of
progression for the occupation in the organization interpreting
regulations and applying laws required to explain, evaluate and
recommend determinations of eligibility to claimant requests for
services and benefits. Specialized experience is defined as work
that involves (1) Requesting relevant medical or administrative
evidence to make eligibility determinations; (2) Analyzing medical
evidence, benefit and/or legal evidence to identify and recognize
required actions for claim development, and (3) Experience
explaining program benefit entitlements and requirements.
Or applicants may substitute education for the experience required
to qualify at the GS-07 level:
Undergraduate Degree and Superior Academic Achievement. You have
successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in any field
leading to an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or
university or you possess an undergraduate degree in any field from
an accredited college or university, AND you meet one of the
following Superior Academic Achievement provisions:
a. Ranked in the upper 1/3 of your college class or major
subdivision at the time you apply; OR
b. Earned election to a national scholastic honor society that meets
the requirements of the Association of College Honor Societies other
than freshman honor societies; OR
c. Earned a grade point average (GPA) of 2.95 or higher on a 4.0
scale based on all completed undergraduate courses, or all
undergraduate classes completed during the final two years; or
earned a GPA of 3.45 or higher on a 4.0 scale based on all completed
undergraduate courses in your major, or all undergraduate courses in
your major completed during the final two years.
Regarding the Superior Academic Achievement provisions, if more than
10% of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) was taken on a
pass/fail or similar basis, you can qualify only on the basis of
your class standing or membership in an honor society. If you
qualify based on your education, you must upload or fax a copy of
your college transcript along with your application. If you are
selected for the position, an official college transcript(s) will be
required at your start date.
Graduate Education. You must have at least one full academic year of
graduate level education that demonstrates you possess the
knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to satisfactorily perform
the work. One year of full-time graduate education is normally
determined by the school you attended. If that number cannot be
determined, 18 semester hours should be considered equivalent to one
academic year of graduate study. Part-time graduate education is
creditable on a pro-rated basis. If you qualify based on your
education, you must upload or fax a copy of your college transcript
along with your application. If you are selected for the position,
an official college transcript(s) will be required at your start
Or applicants can combine education and specialized experience to
qualify for the position. If you have some, but not all, of the
graduate education AND specialized experience described above, you
may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable education
and experience that you do have. To do so, first calculate the
percentage of qualifying education you have as a percentage of the
education required. Next, calculate the percentage of specialized
experience you have as a percentage of the experience required.
Then, add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at
least 100% for you to qualify for the position at the GS-7 grade
level. For example, an applicant who has 9 semester hours of
graduate education (i.e., 50% of graduate education required) and 6
months of acceptable specialized experience (i.e., 50% of the
experience required) would satisfy the qualification requirements
for the position. If you qualify based on a combination of graduate
education and specialized experience, you must submit a copy of your
official college transcript with your application.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are
basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of
Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or
institutions may be used to qualify for federal employment. You can
verify your education here. If you are using foreign education to
meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of
Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit
for that education.
Additional information
Work Schedule: Regular office hours; Alternate work schedules
may be available after completed training.
Title/PD\#: Veterans Service Representative GS - 7; PD 37300A
Promotion Potential: The incumbent may be promoted to t

Veterans Benefits Administration


Muskogee, OK
74401 USA