Under the general direction of the VISN 9 Chief Medical Officer, the VISN 9 Specialty Care Medical Director provides leadership and direction to the Specialty Care Service's across VISN 9 to include extended Care and Rehabilitation (EC&R;) Service Line. The Specialty Care Medical Director provides consultation and guidance to each of the VISN 9 VA Medical Facilities.
Learn more about this agency
The VISN 9 Specialty Care Medical Director serves as a consultant and regional representative to Central Office to provide guidance and input on program development/policy as well as communicate national program office goals and initiatives to VISN 9 facilities. Serves as one of the Chief Medical Officer Executive Leadership members to provide visionary leadership to support medicine/specialty care foundational services. This professional works with other senior leaders and staff to address clinical and administrative issues and potential barriers and proposes strategies for resolution. Provides visionary leadership at a regional level to support the foundational Medicine/Specialty Care Services to ensure a high quality and a standardized approach for Veteran care.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- On a daily basis, he/she demonstrates a high level of analytical ability, critical decision-making skills and an extensive knowledge of healthcare issues.
- He/She must have outstanding clinical, technical, and leadership skills and will actively collaborate to facilitate and manage the integration of medicine/specialty services VISN wide.
- Perform a minimum 0.10 FTE time as a direct patient care provider in his/her recognized area of clinical expertise not to exceed 20% time.
- Skilled clinician and effective leader who is able to mentor and provide guidance for leaders within the VISN facilities.
- Seek and enhance opportunities to promote and strengthen VISN 9s goal of creating an integrated delivery system that reflects and demonstrates support of the VISN CMO's performance plan, and Network and national strategic goals.
- Ensures the monitoring of quality improvement data for all Medicine/Specialty Care programs at VISN 9 facilities and the implementation of VISN and site-specific action plans for continuous performance improvement.
- Plans, develops the formulation of policies, programs and procedures related to clinical services.
- Translate various sources of guidelines and directives (especially External Peer Review Program (EPRP), VACO Directives, VHA clinical guidelines, JCAHO) into concise summaries to facilitate implementation into clinical care processes.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS);Authorized
Telework; Available ADHOC for Emergency Preparedness; National/Regional Emergency; Situational Basis (Temporary); and OWCP Related.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Physicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
***Preferred Experience:** Board certified in Internal Medicine*
Physical Requirements: Applicant must meet the physical standards established for this position. The physical requirements for this position may include the following tasks which may be performed intermittently: moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); Reaching above shoulders; use of fingers; walking (up to 6 hours); Standing (up to 2 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; hearing aid permitted; mental and emotional stability required. Please see VA Directive and Handbook 5019 for more information.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Your application, resume, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE:Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
1. Resume - include: contact information; descriptions of jobs,