The incumbent serves as a Supervisory Medical Support Assistant for the Call Center at the El Paso VA Health Care System. The incumbent performs duties related to the receipt, intake, and indexing of health and administrative information. The incumbent will interface with personal computer (PC) applications as well as numerous local applications.
Learn more about this agency
- Assign and evaluate the work of subordinate staff in the call center;
- Resolve complex problems to ensure patient services are met;
- Evaluate new products, equipment, and systems to make recommendations for improved call center operations;
- Identify educational or training needs;
- Make final decisions on selections;
- Evaluate performance and taking disciplinary action when necessary;
- Responsible for extracting and analyzing data to provide reports in support of performance measures to senior management;
- Incumbent is the Clinic Profile Manager responsible for instituting new clinic profiles, changes in clinic profiles and monitoring existing clinic profiles.
**Fi****nancial Disclosure Report:** Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 05/06/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Experience:Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and
- skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR
- Education: One year above high school; OR
- Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which
- both education and experience are acceptable. English Language Proficiency: MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
Grade Determinations: One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
Supervisory MSAs at this level plan and direct programs at medical centers and/or satellite outpatient clinics and have full supervisory responsibility for supervising at least one subordinate team leader or supervisor. Assignments at this level include but are not limited to: assigning and evaluating the work of subordinate staff; resolving complex problems to ensure patient services are met; evaluating new products, equipment, and systems in order to make recommendations for improved operations; identifying educational or training needs; making final decisions on selections; evaluating performance, and taking disciplinary action when necessary. The employee has full administrative and professional responsibility for planning and directing the MSA's activities. Responsible for extracting and analyzing data in order to provide reports in support of performance measures to senior management. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher level duties must consist of significant scope, administrative independence, complexity (difficulty) and range of variety as described in this standard at the specified grade level and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below:
1. Ability to provide the full range of administrative and supervisory duties which includes assignment of work, performance evaluations, selection of staff, and recommendation of awards and/or advancements.
2. Ability to collaborate, communicate, and demonstrate customer service and interpersonal skills with all healthcare professionals to ensure quality/continuity of care and ensure compliance with established policies and regulations.
3. Ability to provide briefings, orientations, staff development, and training.
4. Ability to manage fiscal matters, forecast resource and equipment needs, and identify budget needs.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G45 Medical Support Assistant Qualification Standards. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-08. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is GS-08.
**Physical Requirements:****Light lifting (under 15 pounds); light carrying (under 15 pounds); use of fingers; walking (various hours); standing (various hours); near vision (correctable 13' t0 16' to Jaeger 1 to 4); far vision ( correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; hearing (aid permitted); mental and emotional stability required.**
IMPORTANT:A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This is a non-bargain unit position.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, resume, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete A