Social worker assigned to the Wyoming Mental Health Clinic. The incumbent must use a high level of skill in assessing and treating the complicated psychosocial problems of Veterans referred to the Mental Health Clinic. The incumbent completes thorough psychosocial assessments as part of the consult process when the Veteran is initially referred to the Mental Health Clinic.
Learn more about this agency
Duties of the Social Worker include but are not limited to:
- The incumbent will conduct psychosocial assessments to determine needs of veterans and family members.
- The incumbent is an active participant in the treatment planning process with other disciplines.
- The incumbent will participate in discharge planning plans are executed in a manner that is timely and appropriate.
- The incumbent will provide individual, family and group counseling as appropriate.
- The incumbent will provide consultation/education to veterans and families on community resources, advance directives and VA benefits.
- The incumbent will act as a consultant to other team/staff members.
- The incumbent will provide consultation/education to medical residents on social work practice and VA policy and procedure.
- The incumbent will act as liaison between VA and community resources, to include marketing and public relation duties as needed.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
- Community Mental Health Social Workers
- Family Social Workers
- Mental Health Social Workers
- Psychiatric Social Workers
- School Social Workers
- Social Workers
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship. Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. Have a master's degree in social work from a school of social work fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Graduates of schools of social work that are in candidacy status do not meet this requirement until the school of social work is fully accredited. A doctoral degree in social work may not be substituted for the master's degree in social work.
- Licensure. Persons hired or reassigned to social worker positions in the GS-185 series in VHA must be licensed or certified by a state to independently practice social work at the master's degree level.
- English Language Proficiency.Social workers must be proficient in spoken and written English.
**GS-11 Social Worker (Full Performance Level)
Experience, Education and Licensure.** Promotion to the GS-11 full performance level requires completion of a minimum of 1 year of post-MSW degree experience in the field of health care social work (VA or non-VA experience) and licensure or certification in a state at the independent practice level. OR In addition to meeting basic requirements, a doctoral degree in social work from a school of social work may be substituted for the required 1 year of professional social work experience in a clinical setting.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the KSAs below:
1. Knowledge of community resources, how to make appropriate referrals to community and other governmental agencies for services, and ability to coordinate services.
2. Ability to independently assess the psychosocial functioning and needs of patients and their family members and to formulate and implement a treatment plan, identifying the patient's problems, strengths, weaknesses, coping skills and assistance needed, in collaboration with the patient, family and interdisciplinary treatment team.
3. Ability to independently conduct psychosocial assessments and provide psychosocial treatment to a wide variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, educational and other diversified backgrounds. This requires knowledge of human development and behavior (physical and psychological) and the differential influences of the environment, society and culture.
4. Knowledge and experience in the use of medical and mental health diagnoses, disabilities and treatment procedures. This includes acute, chronic and traumatic illnesses/injuries, common medications and their effects/side effects, and medical terminology.
5. Knowledge of psychosocial treatment and ability to independently implement treatment modalities in working with individuals, families and groups who are experiencing a variety of psychiatric, medical and social problems to achieve treatment goals. This requires independent judgment and skill in utilizing supportive, problem solving or crisis intervention techniques.
6. Ability to independently provide counseling and/or psychotherapy services to individuals, groups and families. Social workers must practice within the bounds of their license or certification. For example, some states may require social workers providing psychotherapy to have a clinical level of licensure.
7. Ability to provide consultation services to other staff about the psychosocial needs of patients and the impact of psychosocial problems on health care and compliance with treatment. Ability to provide orientation and coaching to new social workers and social work graduate students. Ability to serve as a field instructor for social work graduate students who are completing VHA field placements.
8. Ability to independently evaluate his/her own practice through participation in professional peer review case conferences, research studies, or other organized means.
9. Knowledge and skill in the use of computer software applications for drafting documents, data management, and tracking, especially those programs in use by VHA.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G39, Qualification Standards for Social Workers. This can be found in your local Human Resources office.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11.
Physical Requirements: Light carrying, under 15 pounds; Use of fingers; Walking; Standing; Operation of crane, truck, tractor, or motor vehicle, Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted); Mental and emotional stability.
IMPORTANT:A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
**IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, P