Registered Nurse (Caregiver Support Program)
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
VA Maine Healthcare System
- ##### Open & closing dates
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
- ##### Appointment type
- ##### Work schedule
1 vacancy in the following location:
Caregiver Support is a home care program under the Geriatric and
Extended Care Service Line, designed to meet the longitudinal,
primary care needs of an aging Veteran population with complex,
chronic, disabling disease. Caregiver Support provides a patient
centered approach to care and treatment in the patients home.
Learn more about this agency
**General Major Duties and Responsibilities may include but are not
- Accurately performs assessments/screens for: nutrition, pain,
- Coordinates outcome focused interdisciplinary care plans that
- Implements appropriate nursing/team plans of care reflecting the
financial resources and support systems.
- Demonstrates ability to care manage Caregiver clients through
services, coordination with VA/Community providers and
assessment and documentation of patient/family education.
- Administers medications following established Medical Center and
abnormal or non-therapeutic reactions to these medications and
initiates appropriate interventions.
- Demonstrates ability to do wound care according to treatment
- Educates caregiver in techniques for turning and positioning of
- Demonstrates ability to train patient/family in suctioning/care
- Demonstrates ability to integrate telehealth technology into
- Applies evidence-based standards to screen, immunize and promote
- Demonstrates the ability to perform phlebotomy in the home (see
- Transport blood draws to the Lab. (see lab competency sheet)
- Maintains government vehicle and mileage reports.
- Accurately completes required workload reports.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
76% or greater - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements
by the closing date of this announcement, 11/29/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed
accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the
the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was
completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for
Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate
Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign
schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full,
active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement
of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing
degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional
nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved
course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit
the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to
the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA
Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of
foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a
current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet
the requirement for graduation from an approved school of
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a
Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the
District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in
determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate,
the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and
or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field
with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's
of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and
ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related
field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing
practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of
nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing
(MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing
Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3
year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in
nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's
of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing
or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral
degree in a related field with no additional nursing
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN
a Doctoral degree and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part
II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in
the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity,
keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This
position requires potentially long periods of continued walking,
standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing.
Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical
inpatient lifts are provided. The incumbent may be exposed to
infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to
don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive
procedures, or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be
exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium,
dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature,
flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in
stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient
needs. The incumbent who provides care in home settings or other
off-site locations may be required to drive and/or ride in
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application
if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities,
schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal
employment. You can verify your education here:
http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education
to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of
Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit
for that education. For further information, visit: