This position is located at the Washington D.C. Medical Center. The primary purpose of the PACT (Patient Aligned Care Team) RN Care Coordinator position is to demonstrate leadership and mastery of practice in delivering and improving holistic care through collaboration strategies with others to provide comprehensive nursing care to patients assigned.
Learn more about this agency
Works in partnership with an assigned panel of patients and team members for effective disease and chronic care
Responsible for the collection, analyzing and synthesizing of data and implementing evidence based changes to practice based on data results.
Uses the nursing process and evidence-based practice to collaborate with the teamlet (Patient, Primary Care Provider, PACT RN Care Coordinator, Health Technician, Pharmacists, and Clerical Associate) and expanded team (family member or caregiver, consulting providers, internal and community-based services involved in the care of the patient) in developing the patient-driven care plan for prevention and management of diseases.
Responsible for collaborating with services internal and external to the VA to facilitate care transition in order to effectively meet the patients' needs.
Provides evidenced-based patient and family health education with a focus on self-management, prevention, and wellness based on the patient's goals.
Demonstrates leadership by service as an advocate for patients, and a team leader with colleagues.
Initiates follow-up as recommended while administering the prescribed therapies using appropriate judgment; evaluation of therapies is pertinent and timely.
Provides care in a non-judgmental, non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to the adult or elderly patient and family's diversity, preserving their autonomy, dignity and rights.
Focuses on problems, initiates referrals to other disciplines and/or services as appropriate.
Documents in the medical record patient findings, assessments, and care provided.
Functions independently as the Charge Nurse in an assignment managing the care of a group of patients and caregivers.
Provides care based on staff competencies and identifies priorities to ensure safe and effective patients care.
Verbalizes correct responses to emergencies as well as initiates effective action in emergencies.
Demonstrates understanding of infection control precautions appropriate for the patient population.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday, Weekend shifts may be required.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives and PCS Expenses: Not Authorized
Telework: Not Available
This is not a virtual position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Nurses, Psychiatric
- Psychiatric Nurses
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 04/30/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Physical Requirements: The population of male and female Veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over. DCVAMC is a major interdisciplinary teaching facility, serving medical, surgical, and neurological inpatients and outpatients. There is a large outpatient psychiatric population with visits to the Emergence Department and admissions for medical co-morbidities. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patient and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, and able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
IMPORTANT:A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: