Please read announcement thoroughly before applying.
The Staffing Nurse Manager serves as the nurse leader for the Patient Care Service (PCS) RN Float Pool, nursing contract, and oversees all aspects of nurse staffing efficiencies within the service. The Nurse Manager has 24/7 accountability for the performance and effectiveness of RN Float Pool staff, contract staff; and oversight of staffing effectiveness.
Learn more about this agency
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages the RN Float Pool that will be assigned throughout inpatient/ED as needed to meet staffing targets;
- Manages BVAMC nursing contract and oversight of nursing staff assigned to BVAMC from the contracts;
- Provides oversight of staffing methodology processes outlined in VHA Directive 1351, Staffing Methodology for VHA Nursing Personnel;
- Works collaboratively with nurse leadership and expert panels on training, processes, data collection, documentation and staff submissions for an effective Staffing Methodology program;
- Trends and analyzes nurse workload data and working with nurse leadership, informatics, managerial accounting and other entities to ensure data entry/mapping is correct and to develop actions to improve effectiveness and efficiency.;
- Serves as Acustaf Coordinator and liaison with nurse leaders and vendor to program attributes are utilized to their fullest; working collaboratively with Unit Nurse Managers and Coordinators to efficiently utilize nurse staffing resources across units;
- Ensures unit schedules meet established nursing hour per patient day and have efficient distribution of staff across tours;
- Accounts for and reports direct care staff in non-duty or modified duty status;
- Manages reallocation of nursing resources;
- Proactively identifies and addresses staffing deficits;
- Utilizes float, contract and reallocates staff efficiently and effectively to maintain safe and effective patient care;
- Assessing workload variables, including overtime, leave usage, nursing hour trends, etc., to assist the Chief Nurses and Associate Director for Patient Care Service in effective decision making regarding staffing;
- Evaluates factors impacting competency, satisfaction and performance for reallocated nurses, float and contract nurses; and the nurses in the areas of assignment, to develop plans and initiatives for improvement of process;
- Provides oversight of all aspects of PCS staffing, including, but not limited to overtime, managing temporary and permanent staff vacancies; meeting nursing hour per patient day targets; assisting with staffing projections and efficiencies.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
- Nurses, Psychiatric
- Psychiatric Nurses
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen to apply to this job.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing
- Master's Degree or higher in Nursing from an NLN or CCNE accredited program
- A minimum of two (2) years successful inpatient experience
- A minimum of one (1) year successful leadership experience
- A minimum of one (1) year successful nurse staffing experience
- Current BLS certification
- Professional Nursing Certification (AACN)
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Demonstrated ability to be dependable, self-directed, and flexible, including flexibility in assignment and time scheduling
- Demonstrated evidence of sound decision making and application of critical thinking skills
- Commitment to outstanding patient care delivery
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Physical Requirements: The population of male and female veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over.
The VA Medical Center is a major interdisciplinary teaching facility, serving medical, surgical, and neurological inpatients and outpatients. There is a large outpatient psychiatric population, with admissions for medical co-morbidities. This position requires visual acuity (glasses permitted), keen hearing (hearing aid permitted), clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking (up to 8 hours), standing (up to 8 hours), stooping, sitting, bending (up to 8 hours), pulling, and pushing. Light lifting under 15 lbs. Light carrying 15-44 lbs. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. Use of rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift pr