This position is located in the Geriatric and Extended Care and Rehabilitation Service Line at the Atlanta VA Healthcare System in Carrollton, GA. The incumbent will ensure the quality and timeliness of the services provided, customer satisfaction, and compliance with the standards of accrediting bodies such as the Joint Commission, the Inspector General's Combined Assessment Program, and the annual survey of the Community Living Center by the Long-Term Care Institute.
Learn more about this agency
The Physician is accountable to the Chief of Extended Care for assuring the most effective delivery of care in the Community Living Center (CLC) while meeting and exceeding compliance standards. He/she participates in and/or manages all aspects of a general geriatric program, to include clinical, administrative, academic, and research components, if warranted. Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Participating in the creation of policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure provision of good quality comprehensive services, including procedures for emergency treatment of residents in the CLC; Supervises physicians. house staff and nurse practitioners assigned to the CLC and monitoring their performance; Providing a schedule of physician coverage in the CLC for a 24 hour day;
* Participating and directing patient/resident care management; Developing rules and regulations for physicians who attend residents of the CLC; Advising the Chief of Extended Care about the adequacy and appropriateness of the CLC scope of service for residents, medical equipment, and staff;
* Ensuring a safe and sanitary environment for residents and personnel; Identifying hazards for health and safety by reviewing and evaluating incident reports; Coordinating and directing staff education programs; Maintaining liaison with the hospital clinical services and governing bodies;
* Providing patient care to veterans enrolled in the CLC both directly, and through remote service such as telemedicine, call coverage, and other modalities; Serving as a primary resource to providers and staff in the CLC for geriatric medical issues and concerns; and
* Acting as Chief of Extended Care, when assigned; Providing recommendation to the Service Chief for credentialing and privileging of CLC providers; Providing leadership, teaching and guidance to geriatric/internal medicine residents, as well as other clinical trainees and clinical staff.
**Work Schedule:** Monday - Friday; Day tour
**Financial Disclosure Report:**Not required
### Travel Required
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
#### Similar jobs
* Internal Medicine Physicians
* Physicians, All Other
* Physicians, Internal Medicine
### Conditions of Employment
* United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
* Designated and/or random drug testing required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a supervisory probationary period
* Subject to a background/security investigation
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
* Must pass pre-employment physical examination
* MUST submit all required documents in order to receive consideration
* United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
* Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
* Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
* Proficiency in spoken and written English.
* Physical requirements outlined below.
**Preferred Experience:** Board Certified or Board Eligible in Geriatrics; Ideal candidate has a proven track record in clinical care and education.
**Reference:**VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
**Physical Requirements:** Moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); straight pulling (1 hour); pushing (1 hour); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking (5 hours); standing (4 hours); kneeling (1 hour); repeated bending (4 hours); both legs required; ability to perform rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; hearing (aid permitted); emotional/mental stability.
**Note:**Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
### Additional information
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
**IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.**Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
**NOTE:**Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
##### Drug test required
* Required Documents
## Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
2. Copy of your transcripts showing that you meet the education requirement in full
3. Copy of your medical license
4. VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklistto ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
* Cover Letter
* Other Veterans Document
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an acc...
This job listing expired over a month ago
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Browse Assistant Medical Director Jobs in Carrollton, GA
Aureus Medical Group Carrollton, GA
FlexTimeNurses Newnan, GA
Elite Comfort Solutions, LLC Newnan, GA