Medical Support Assistant Call Center
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
- ##### Open & closing dates
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
- ##### Appointment type
- ##### Work schedule
1 vacancy in the following location:
The incumbent serves as a Medical Support Assistant (MSA) in
Ambulatory Service with the Centralized Communications Center at the
VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System, Reno,Nevada.
The MSA performs duties related to the receipt, intake, and indexing
of health and administrative information. The MSA will interface
with personal computer applications as well as specialized
applications such as: VistA (Veterans' Information System
Technology Architecture) CPRS, and TRM (Telecare Record Manager).
Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Scheduling, cancelling and rescheduling patient's appointments
- Verifies and updates demographics and insurance information.
- Process all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA
- Plans and organizes work with general assistance from the
complete analysis requirements, reports and special assignments
and only refers to the non-routine and high technical problems
to his/her supervisor.
- Responsible for reporting backlogs, difficulties in meeting
or the record.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained to carry
- Routinely communicates with physicians, case managers, and other
skills and is constantly aware of the sensitive information.
- Works independently making decisions based on guidelines,
that only minimal supervision is required.
- Provides care and/or services appropriate to the age of the
cognitive; emotional, and chronological maturation of the
- Utilizes Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint
7:45am-4:15pm; Tuesday & Wednesday 7:45am-2:15pm.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This position is covered under the Bargaining Unit.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements
by the closing date of this announcement, 12/02/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be
in accordance with VA Policy.
- Experience and Education:
- Experience. Six months experience of clerical, office,
indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge
and skills needed to perform the duties of the position;
- Education. One year above high school; OR
- Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination
for which both education and experience are acceptable.
May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision
as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation
(only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this
GS-05 Medical Support Assistant
Experience or Education: One year of experience equivalent to
the next lower grade level, GS-04, or four years of education above
high school. Specialized Experience includes, but is not limited to:
scheduling and rescheduling patients for treatment; interviewing
patients for appointments; referring patients to other medical
specialty clinics; providing information to patients necessary to
resolve complaints; interacting with both internal and external
customers; reviewing and documenting medical outpatient and
inpatient electronic health records, as well as administrative
records; verifying third party insurance and updating information in
the Insurance Capture Buffer (ICB) system; obtaining medical
information from patients; coordinating information and actions
related to patient care and services; and scheduling appointments in
accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Candidates must
demonstrate all of the KSAs below:
**\\Please make sure your resume reflects that you meet these
1. Ability to operate computerized programs and systems in order to
enter, modify, and retrieve sensitive medical and patient
identifying information (PII) into or from electronic health
records, scheduling systems, and/or reports.
2. Advanced knowledge of medical terminology specific to understand
medical diagnosis and procedures sufficient to communicate
clinical staff instructions to patients.
3. Ability to schedule medical appointments in a clinical setting.
4. Ability to work independently in the accomplishment of a wide
variety of duties performing patient support work.
5. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in person,
electronically, and/or by telephone, with internal and external
6. Skill in customer service with the ability to identify customer
concerns, and refer to the appropriate staff, as necessary, to
ensure a satisfactory resolution.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G45, Medical
Support Assistant Qualification Standard.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-05.
Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary, but may
require some walking, standing, bending, stooping, stretching, and
carrying objects such as papers, books, and files/binders. Work also
requires spending time performing keyboarding duties.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application
if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities,
schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal
employment. You can verify your education here:
http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education
to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of
Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit
for that education. For further information, visit:
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have
faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related
positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the
Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for
Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at
VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and
coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for
information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the
**IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE
MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your