The Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN) is assigned to the Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders (SCI/D) Service of the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System (ECHCS). The incumbent practices at the Spinal Cord Injury and Disorder (SCI/D) Center, Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center (VAMC) in Aurora, CO., providing primary care and specialty care to adults under the SCI/D program.
The APRN will be required to work both Inpatient and Outpatient Clinics.
Learn more about this agency
The APRN performs a broad spectrum of inpatient and outpatient healthcare services at the expert level. The APRN functions independently and maintains ongoing collaboration with physicians, peers, and others on the healthcare team and within the community. Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment and outcome measures of healthcare problems to include initiating and adjusting therapeutic regimens, performing histories and physicals, ordering diagnostic and therapeutic tests/studies, initiating consults and referrals, and prescribing medications/supplies in accordance with VA policies.
- Provides preventive health medicine, chronic disease management, and episodic acute medical care.
- Provides leadership in applying the nursing process to client care, to organization processes and/or systems, and in improving outcomes at the program or service level.
- Systematic evaluation of clinical practice.
- Consultation, interdisciplinary collaboration, and problem resolution across service discipline lines.
- Provides leadership in identifying and addressing ethical issues that impact clients and staff.
- Manages program resources to facilitate safe, effective, and efficient care.
- Implements educational plans to meet changing program or service needs, and for staff development.
- Participates in research activities to improve care.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday between 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Candidate must be willing to work weekends, irregular work hours and extended hours. The candidate must be willing to be placed, detailed or temporarily assigned to other related services and/or locations, if necessary.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
- Nurse Practitioners
- Practitioners, Nurse
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 04/15/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency. APRNs appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required
- Education: Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Registration: Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Advanced Practice Nurse. A Nurse Practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a Nurse Practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC, ACEN, or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.
- Possess a master's degree accredited by the NLNAC, ACEN, or CCNE.
- Full and current certification as a Nurse Practitioner from a nationally recognized certifying body.
- Experience as Nurse Practitioner (2 - 3 years).
- Possess or eligible to apply for prescriptive authority granted by a State.
- Experience/Certifications in Spinal Cord Injury, MS, ALS.
- Experience in both Inpatient and Outpatient Clinics.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Physical Requirements: Light carrying (15 lbs or less), reaching above shoulders, walking (1 hour), sitting (long periods), far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye, ability to distinguish colors, hearing (aid permitted), use of fingers, working with hands in water, working closely with others.
IMPORTANT:A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill