Easterseals DC MD VA is looking for a Head Start Assistant Teacher to support the lead teacher with daily classroom operations. Assistant Teachers provide a safe and nurturing environment that supports the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of children ages 6 weeks to 5 years. Must have ONE of these: Child Development Associate (CDA) credential; Associates degree (or greater) in Early Childhood Education or Special Education; OR Associates degree (or greater) in any subject plus the Maryland 90-hour child care certification.
CLASS™ teacher-child interactions:
- Provide emotional support through establishing a positive climate, being aware of and responsive to children, and encouraging child expression and autonomy.
- Use strategies for behavior management: clear behavior expectations, be proactive and redirect misbehavior.
- Provide instructional support through concept development, fostering children’s analysis and reasoning, engaging in feedback loops, and modeling and supporting high-quality language.
- Foster classroom productivity and maximize learning time with a variety of modalities and materials.
- Provide classroom experiences that are developmentally, linguistically, culturally and age appropriate for children served.
- Ensure classroom arrangement, materials and displays are organized and conducive to children’s learning.
- Document children through ongoing observation, embedded and direct assessment activities.
- Complete quarterly assessment checkpoints for each child.
- Analyze child assessment data to plan and individualize.
Meeting all children’s needs:
- Complete developmental and social-emotional screenings on all children within prescribed time frames.
- Complete weekly Individualized Learning Plans with specific goals and strategies for each child.
- Integrate Individual Education Plans (IEPs) or referral action plans for children with diagnosed or suspected special needs.
Professional growth and collaboration:
- Participate in ongoing reflective coaching and self-assessment.
- Create a safe, healthy learning environment with full supervision of children at all times, per Head Start and childcare licensing requirements.
- Follow all health and hygiene practices, including hand-washing, sanitizing, and universal precautions.
- Must meet 1 of these 3 criteria:
- Child Development Associate (CDA) credential
- Associates degree (or greater) in Early Childhood Education or Special Education.
- Associates degree (or greater) in any subject PLUS the Maryland 90-hour child care certification.
- Intermediate computer literacy in email, word processing and internet navigation.
- Obtain certification in CPR and First Aid.
- Able to lift a child weighing 40 pounds, 20 times a day if needed.
- Pass physical examination, background and fingerprinting screen, and Physical/TB screen.
- Bilingual Spanish-English preferred
- Experience teaching preschool aged children preferred
- Veteran or military family member strongly preferred